Match report: Late drama as Glory's Taggart smashes winner over luckless Mariners
Perth Glory's Adam Taggart smashed a sensational late winner to seal a gritty comeback 2-1 win over Central Coast Mariners on Sunday afternoon in the WA Capital.
At a pristine nib Stadium in front of over 12,000 noisy fans to conclude Round 3 of the Hyundai A-League, a fast-finishing Perth Glory came back from a very slow start to register their first win of the season.
STORY OF THE GAME
- The Mariners started on fire, finding their rhythm and should’ve been a couple of goals up inside six minutes. They did take the lead, deservedly, just after the quarter hour mark.
- But Glory soon found their groove and began to get in behind the visitors defence with striker Adam Taggart having the best chance to find the net.
- But Kenny Lowe's men couldn’t find an equaliser before the break. 0-1 to the visitors from Central Coast.
- Taggart and Keogh had good chances in the second half but it was the Irishman who found the net to set up a grandstand final 20 minutes.
- Both sides fatigued in their desperate search for a winner on a warm day in Perth.
- And it was Taggart with just minutes who broke Mariners hearts with a super winner.
Brama, Mariners 14’, 0-1
Mariners playmaker De Silva found Pain to the left of the box, he shifted the ball inside and squared it to Wout Brama and the Dutchman angled a rising left foot drive first time past Liam Reddy for a deserved lead.
Keogh, Glory 70’, 1-1
A great combination by the front two of Glory. Taggart was set free down the right and his accurate cross to Keogh saw the Irishman bury his perfect header that left Glover with no chance in goal.
Taggart, Glory 85’, 2-1
Lowry with a great long ball to Taggart. Doubts of offside can be cast aside with Roux playing him onside. After a great first touch he smashed the shot from the edge of the box past Glover and rattle the back of the net. Cue mayhem!