Youthful Adelaide impress in scoreless draw with Sydney FC
A disciplined and youthful Adelaide United pushed league leaders Sydney FC and deserved more but had to settle for a 0-0 draw on Sunday.
In front of a large, noisy crowd at Coopers Stadium the undermanned Reds were superb in the first half.
And Marco Kurz's youthful side maintained their terrific energy levels in the second half to give the league leaders a tough night in front of almost 10,000 fans.
It was only the second time this season Sydney FC failed to score.
STORY OF THE GAME
- REDS RUN HOT EARLY: The hosts hit the bar after 18 mins courtesy of Strain then Stamatelopoulos' long-range effort fizz just past Sydney's post.
- OCHIENG SO CLOSE: Sweeping move opens up Sydney, O'Doherty's cross to Ochieng but he was unable to find the net.
- REDS INJURY: Gülüm has eventually succumbed to injury after falling on his ribs. Warland on after 41 mins.
- HALF TIME: 0-0 The Reds full of energy. Their pressing has asked plenty of questions of the league leaders.
- GREAT SAVE! After 58 mins Buijs unleashes a wicked strike from outside the box that appears destined for the back of the net but Daniel Margush climbs high to tip the ball just over the crossbar.
- CHANCE FOR SKY BLUES After 70 mins, Brosque gets on the end of a ball down the right hand side, with the keeper approaching he deftly flicks towards goal but the ball rolls tantalisingly to the left of the post.
- REDS PUSH HARD: The excellent O'Doherty with another chance for the home side created by good flank play in stoppage time.