Wilkshire ends City's 100% record as Sydney FC grind out big win
In the Hyundai A-League clash of the heavyweights, Sydney FC ended Melbourne City's 100% start to the season with a clinical 1-0 win on Friday night at AAMI Park.
City nullified playmaker Milos Ninkovic but they didn't bank on defender Luke Wilkshire, who scored a collector's item in the second half to end City's perfect start to the season.
And in doing so, Sydney FC achieved some measure of revenge after last year's FFA Cup final loss at the same venue.
However, much of the talk around the game centred on the injury to Tim Cahill.
STORY OF THE GAME
- Sydney FC started the better of the two sides and looked threatening on occasion.
- Tim Cahill was withdrawn for City with an ankle injury inside the first 25 minutes.
- Cahill’s replacement Marcin Budzinski injected new life into City as the game's momentum swung City's way.
- Redmayne low finger-tip save kept out City's Nick Fitzgerald- it was the best chance of a first half that ended 0-0.
- That save proved crucial as Wilkshire cracked open the contest around the hour mark with a well-taken goal - after his last goal nine years ago in a Moscow derby.
Wilkshire, Sydney FC, 59': 0-1
Zullo in the left wing position got on the ball, he swung his cross to the far post where fellow full back Wilkshire ran onto the ball, hit it into the ground, over the defender and into the net.