'We've drawn a line in the sand': Why Mulvey doesn't care about Mariners' recent form against Roar

The statistics make for grim reading if you are a Central Coast Mariners fan but head coach Mike Mulvey simply is not interested.

Mulvey says supporters and pundits should throw out the form book as his new-look Mariners outfit approach their Hyundai A-League 2018/19 season opener at Brisbane Roar on Sunday.

Central Coast lost their last six matches last term, conceding 20 goals in the process, and their record against the Roar is dismal.

WATCH FOR FREE: How to watch the Hyundai A-League LIVE and FREE
LOOK AHEAD:
 Five things to look out for on opening weekend

In fact, in the last 12 meetings between the two sides, Brisbane have won 10 and drawn two, meaning Central Coast’s last win against the Roar came in 2014 - when Mulvey was in charge of the Queensland-based side.

Mulvey says it counts for nothing, though, insistent that this season is the start of a new era for the Mariners, who have added the likes of Ross McCormack, Tommy Oar, Michael McGlinchey, Kalifa Cisse, Aiden O’Neill and Corey Gameiro in a busy off-season.

“This is what I want everyone to understand,” Mulvey said when quizzed about Central Coast’s record against Brisbane.

“This is a new venture right now. We are heading in the right direction. 

“There’s going to be a little bit of hiccups and obstacles in the way but we made a pledge and everybody has stepped over that line.

“We’re not going back behind that line. We’ve drawn a line in the sand.

“We don’t talk about that [bad record] anymore. We talk about looking forward and having a very positive environment and so far, so good.

Oar & McCormack


“It doesn’t mean to say that we are going to win every game but we certainly are going to be in every game, because we’re going to be competitive.”

While much of the pre-season attention has centred on high-profile trialist Usain Bolt, Mulvey’s focus in his Thursday press conference was firmly on the Roar clash.

And while he praised Bolt’s impact on the group, Mulvey said he was not interested in talking about news linking Bolt with a move abroad, repeating his desire to focus on his squad of 23.

“I haven’t read that [about Bolt turning down an offer from a another club] and I haven’t been involved in all that,” he said.

“And I’m really not interested in it, to tell you the truth. 

“I’m interested in the players that I’ve got in my squad who I’m very happy with.”

When pressed further on the matter, Mulvey said: “The focus is on the team.

“We’ve got 23 full-time professional footballers, who have (put in) blood, sweat and tears throughout the whole of the pre-season.

“They’re ready to go. We’re a very close-knit group and we need to be like that.”