Westfield W-League Weekend Wrap

Westfield W-League leaders Queensland Roar survived an almighty scare about last-placed Perth Glory, coming from 3-1 down at half time to eventually win 5-3 thanks to two late, late goals. Central Coast Mariners and Melbourne Victory also recorded wins.

Westfield W-League leaders Queensland Roar survived an almighty scare about last-placed Perth Glory, coming from 3-1 down at half time to eventually win 5-3 thanks to two late, late goals. Meanwhile the Central Coast Mariners recorded the biggest win of the season to date, with a 6-0 thumping of Adelaide United, while Melbourne Victory moved into 2nd place with a narrow win over Newcastle. Canberra and Sydney FC played out a 1-1 draw.

Results - Round 7 Adelaide United 0 lost CENTRAL COAST MARINERS 6 Canberra United 1 drew Sydney FC 1 MELBOURNE VICTORY 1 beat Newcastle Jets 0 Perth Glory 3 lost QUEENSLAND ROAR 5

Game Wraps

If someone would have predicted what was about to take place at Hindmarsh Stadium on Saturday when Adelaide hosted Central Coast Mariners, they would most likely have been taken to the nut house straight away. The 6-0 scoreline and second half destruction by the Mariners over home side Adelaide left everyone at the ground astonished. The signs were good early for the Mariners as they attacked at will against a disappointing home side, but still only led by just the solitary goal at the break; a Trudy Camilleri header from close range. When Jenna Kingsley doubled the Mariners advantage five minutes after the break, it signaled a goal avalanche. Camilleri scored a brilliant goal from outside of the box, which was followed a fourth goal to Kingsley. The Mariners leading goalscorers Kyah Simon then made it 5-0 two minutes later, to make it three goals in four minutes and she then grabbed her second and the Mariners sixth in the 74th minute and make it the biggest win in the Westfield W-League-s brief history.

An injury hit Sydney FC secured a well-earned point in a hard fought 1-1 with Canberra United at McKellar Park. There was no quarter given by these two sides with Sydney-s young players standing up to be counted against the full strength Canberra side. After a scrappy opening half hour, it was Canberra that hit the front after 37 minutes; Caitlin Munoz cracking home a shot outside the penalty area. However it was all square by half time, after Sydney was awarded a penalty after Nicola Bolger was brought down by Rhian Davies. Jordan Marsh made no mistake from the spot. Both sides had their chances in the second half, but they had to settle for a point each, which keeps Sydney in the top four and Canberra sitting just outside.

A late goal by Canadian international Brittany Timko has secured Melbourne Victory a priceless win over Newcastle Jets that moved them up to second place on the ladder. Timko pounced on a loose ball after Jets goalkeeper Alison Logue had come out to get a through ball, with the ball bouncing free to Timko, who made no mistake. The Jets had the better of the first half, with Emily Van Egmond in particular dangerous. She had several chances, but it was a shot from Kirstyn Pearce from near half way that was the highlight. Pearce-s shot almost caught Victory keeper out, but the Westfield Matilda shot stopper flung herself to finger-tip the ball onto the crossbar and out of play. The Victory lifted their game in the second half, with Timko producing her finest display so far this season. She set up several chances for her teammates, who didn-t convert, but capped off a good match by being on the spot to take advantage of the defensive lapse by the Jets.

Last placed Perth Glory haven-t had much luck go their way this season and so it continued at Members Equity Stadium, when they let the chance of beating leaders Queensland Roar slip through their fingers. Despite being down to 10 players for the last six minutes of the match, Queensland broke a 3-3 deadlock to score two goals in the dying minutes and win 5-3. The match got off to a blistering start with Lauren Colthorpe scoring for Roar after just 3 minutes. But it was all level again five minutes when Glory-s Samantha Kerr scored. Perth then had an upset within their reach when first Lisa De Vanna and then deep into first half injury time Marianna Tabain made it 3-1. However Queensland are not top of the table for any old reason and when Lana Harch and Elise Kellond-Knight had the scores level again with in the first 15 minutes of the second half, one sensed they would run away with the game. Perth though held on and when Roar captain Kate McShea was sent off with six minutes to play, Perth had a great chance to grab a much needed win. But with just a minute of normal time remaining Stephanie Latham scored for the Roar and with the home side pushing players forward in search of an equaliser in injury time, Courtney Beutel added a fifth goal for Roar.

Weekend Goals Tally: 17

Card Count: 14 yellows - 1 red

Leading Goalscorers 6 - Leena Khamis (SFC) 5 - Kyah Simon (CCM) 4 - Katie Gill (NJ), Lana Harch (QR), Courtney Beutel (QR), Lauren Colthorpe (QR) 3 - Sandra Scalzi (AU), Sharon Black (AU), Renee Rollason (CCM), Lisa De Vanna (PG), Trudy Camilleri (CCM)