The Hyundai A-League heads to Ballarat on Saturday as Western United FC host Mark Rudan’s former club Wellington Phoenix.
United’s strong start to life as a Hyundai A-League club – which started with a 1-0 win in Wellington in Round 1 – shows no signs of slowing down as we head towards 2020.
Rudan’s troops are on a three-game unbeaten run and are currently in third spot entering Round 12.
While United’s recent form is encouraging it’s nothing compared to the Phoenix who have gone six games without defeat.
Last weekend’s 2-2 draw with champions Sydney FC underlined Wellington’s purple-patch right now and if not for a ‘miss of the season’ contender from Mexican star Ulises Davila they would have taken all three points.
Still, confidence and motivation should be running high for both clubs in this Saturday afternoon clash, which can be seen LIVE and FREE on ABC TV.
Saturday, 28 December 2019
Kick-off: 5pm AEDT
Venue: Mars Stadium
Broadcast: ABC TV, FOX Sports 505
Stream: MyFootball Live App, Kayo Sports, ABC iView
Ways to watch
How to follow the action
Match centre: Live updates, videos and statistics
Follow @ALeague on Twitter and join the conversation using #WUNvWEL #ALeague
To be confirmed.
Did you know?
- Western United FC picked up a 1-0 win in their last A-League game against Wellington Phoenix, which also happened to be their first ever game in the competition.
- Western United have won three of their last five A-League games played in Victoria (L2); though, they were kept goalless in their two losses in that period.
- Western United’s Andrew Durante boasts a passing accuracy of 91.4% this A-League campaign, the second-highest of any player to have made at least 200 passes.
- Wellington Phoenix are undefeated in their last six A-League games (W3, D3), having conceded only one first-half goal in that period.
- Ulises Dávila (Wellington Phoenix) has made 41 total shots (inc. blocks) this A-League campaign, more than any other player.
Round 12: Western United v Wellington
Featured NewsRead more
Goodwin vows to 'keep building' as Adelaide seal third win in a row
Craig Goodwin believes Adelaide can keep the momentum going after racking up their third straight win with a 2-1 triumph over the Newcastle Jets. Hometown hero Goodwin struck the winning goal in the 77th minute in his first match at Coopers Stadium in almost two years, after r
Goodwin shines on return home as Reds down Jets
Craig Goodwin proved the difference on his return to the City of Churches as Adelaide United sealed a 2-1 win against the Newcastle Jets. The Socceroos attacker showed his class by netting the 77th-minute winner at Coopers Stadium, his second goal in two games since arriving b
Signing news: Taylor is back in a Phoenix jersey
The Wellington Phoenix are excited to announce that Steven Taylor, their captain during the club's record-setting 2019/20 season, will be returning to the Phoenix for the remainder of the 2020/21 A-League season in Wollongong. ...: Wellington Phoenix and Wollongong Wolves Loo