Western Sydney Wanderers v Wellington Phoenix: stats preview
It’s a rescheduled clash from Round 7 between the Wanderers and Phoenix on what looms as a crucial Sunday afternoon fixture for both clubs.
The Wanderers are hanging on to their spot inside the top six, while Wellington are desperate to get off the bottom of the ladder and breathe life into their Finals Series hopes.
Thanks to Opta Data, check out the all-important stats ahead of the clash at ANZ Stadium.
- Western Sydney Wanderers are undefeated in their last five Hyundai A-League games against the Phoenix (W3, D2), keeping a first-half clean sheet in each of those five games.
- The Wanderers have won three of their last four Hyundai A-League home games against the Phoenix, though they picked up a 5-2 loss in that span.
- Josep Gombau’s men have won only one of their last six Hyundai A-League games played on home turf (D2, L3), scoring just five goals across that period.
- Wellington first ever Hyundai A-League game at ANZ Stadium; however, they’ve won just one of their last eight games played in New South Wales (D2, L5).
- The Wanderers (81%) are the only team this Hyundai A-League season to boast a passing accuracy of greater than 80%.
- Phoenix have scored 10 headed goals this Hyundai A-League season, three more than any other team in the competition and seven more than the Wanderers (3).
- Wanderers striker Brendon Santalab has scored eight goals in his last five Hyundai A-League games against Wellington, including three braces. The last time he didn’t score in a game against them was Valentine’s Day 2016.
- Phoenix midfielder Matthew Ridenton has created 17 scoring chances in 2018, the second-most of any player in the Hyundai A-League behind City’s Luke Brattan (18).