Vignaroli sticks with Jets

Newcastle playmaker Fabio Vignaroli has ended speculation about his future by agreeing to a new one-year contract as the club's marquee player.

Newcastle playmaker Fabio Vignaroli has ended speculation about his future by agreeing to a new one-year contract as the club's marquee player.

The 33-year-old played a starring role during the Jets' AFC Champions League campaign earlier this year and has been the focal point of the club's recruitment process over the past few months.

Since his return to Australia there have been rumours circulating that the Italian will leave the club, but after a meeting between the player, club chairman Con Constantine and director of football Remo Nogarotto on Tuesday night, a new deal was struck.

"Tonight we have ended the rumours and speculation. We sat down and spoke about the issue and agreed to terms," Constantine said.

"It was disappointing to see that there some rumours going around today in certain sections of the media, but we move on and we do so with Fabio in a positive manner."

"As chairman of this club, I want all of our supporters, sponsors and members of the club to be assured that we are creating a strong squad here in Newcastle and we are doing everything possible as we move toward success."

Chief executive John Tsatsimas echoed the chairman's thoughts and said that the agreement was an important moment for the 2007/08 champions.

"Fabio is a class act both on and off the field, and naturally we were always extremely keen to have him on board for a length of time," he said.

"The talks have taken some time but certainly the important element is that both parties are happy where things stand and it's definitely a wonderful moment for the Newcastle Jets."

Newcastle begins the new season with a home match against Wellington Phoenix on Sunday.