Veterans lead the way as Roar make Mariners pay
Brisbane Roar rebounded from a difficult week to leapfrog Central Coast Mariners on the ladder with a 2-1 win in Gosford on Saturday night.
Experienced stars Brett Holman and Matt McKay punished a pair of defensive errors as Roar recovered from their midweek AFC Champions League exit.
Blake Powell pulled one back to inspire hope of ending what is now a nine-game winless run, but Brisbane held firm to secure a ninth victory in their last 11 against the Mariners, who had Wout Brama sent off for a poor late tackle.
STORY OF THE GAME
- CHANCE: Massimo Maccarone hooks Corey Brown's promising cut-back over the bar.
- INJURY: Thomas Kristensen is forced from the pitch with a hamstring problem inside 10 minutes. Mitchell Oxborrow replaces him.
- GOAL! Holman profits from Jacob Melling's turnover to notch his second goal in as many games.
- CHANCE: Brisbane construct a classy move but Maccarone's touch evades him at the near post.
- GOAL! McKay makes the most of Ben Kennedy's sloppy pass to extend the advantage just before the hour.
- GOAL! Central Coast quickly respond as Powell lashes in his fourth of the campaign.
- SAVE: Kennedy takes the ball off Corey Gameiro's toe to keep his side in it.
- RED CARD: Mariners' night goes from bad to worse as Brama is dismissed for a studs-up challenge on Gameiro.
Brett Holman, Brisbane Roar 23': 0-1
Melling's deep turnover exposes a scattered Mariners defence. Daniel Leck cushions McKay's pass into Holman's path and the midfielder slides a cool finish inside the near post.
Matt McKay, Brisbane Roar 56': 0-2
Central Coast are the architects of their own downfall again as McKay picks off Kennedy's under-hit pass and finishes into a virtually empty net.
Blake Powell, Central Coast Mariners 63': 1-2
Fed a pass by Lachlan Wales, Powell skilfully skips around the outside of Jack Hingert before fizzing a fine left-footed finish across Jamie Young.