Thriller in Brisbane as City register three points against Roar
Melbourne City defeated Brisbane Roar 2-1 at Suncorp Stadium in a hugely entertaining encounter to conclude Round 19 in the Hyundai A-League.
Roar, who scored the opening goal, missed a golden chance to draw level after Massimo Maccarone fluffed his penalty in the final 20 minutes.
City now just four points behind Newcastle on the ladder.
Re-live the game in the MATCH CENTRE
STORY OF THE GAME
- END-TO-END START Arzani pulling the strings for City
- ROAR GOAL! Maccarone heads Roar ahead. 1-0.
- CITY GOAL! Budzinski with the reply five minutes later. 1-1
- CITY CHANCE Arzani runs into the area but his effort goes just wide of goal.
- ROAR CHANCE Holman chips a ball into Maccarone, who heads it for goal, but Bouzanis gets his arm across to stop it.
- HALF TIME: 1-1 What an enthralling 45 minutes. Beautiful to watch, end-to-end stuff and totally watchable.
- PACE DROPS After such a hectic first half, the intensity has dropped somewhat in the opening 10 mins.
- ROAR FLUFF SUPER CHANCE Holman, Maccarone and Leck combine but can't capitalise on a great chance.
- CITY GOAL! Stefan Mauk gives City the lead for the first time today. 1-2 after 66 mins.
- PENALTY MISS! Jacobsen concedes a penalty on 77 mins but Maccarone's tame penalty is saved by City's Bouzanis.
- FRANJIC CLOSE A low shot on his left peg but Bouzanis low down to stops it after 85 mins.
Maccarone Roar 1-0, 14'
Bautheac steps up from the set piece from just outside the left corner of the box. He sends it into the box, with Maccarone having an uncontested header on goal, beating Bouzanis and hitting the back of the net.
Budzinski City 1-1, 19'
Arzani bursting through on an angled run and a wonderful pass threads it to Budziński and he beats Young.
Mauk City 1-2, 67'
Calamity as confusion between Young and defenders sees the ball spill free and Budzinski crosses for Mauk who did very well to position his header past Young.