Sydney wrap up premiership

Two goals in the second half has seen Sydney FC defeat the Newcastle Jets 2-1 and wrap up the Westfield W-League Premiership in the process.

Two goals in the second half has seen Sydney FC defeat the Newcastle Jets 2-1 and wrap up the Westfield W-League Premiership in the process.

The Sky Blues skipped to the lead at Wanderers Oval thanks to a runaway goal in the 56th minute by Kyah Simon, but the Jets clawed their way back into the contest through a powerful Hayley Crawford header.

Servet Uzunlar's penalty for Sydney midway through the second stanza ultimately decided the outcome of the hard-fought encounter, moving the Sky Blues to 24 points, three clear of the Brisbane Roar on the final weekend of the competition.

The match started slowly, though, as both sides looked to find their range of passing. Newcastle and Sydney were both guilty of some wayward link-up play in an opening 45 minutes that failed to deliver much in the way of goalmouth action.

Simon tried her luck from long-range just after the half-hour mark, but lifted her right-foot strike well over the bar.

Moments before the half-time whistle and Jets playmaker Melissa Feuerriegel also sprayed her effort from 25-yards wide of the target in what would be the home side's best chance of the opening stanza.

The game then burst into life in the early moments of the second half, and it didn't take long for the visitors to make the most of the open spaces.

Just 10 minutes after the interval Simon pounced on a Renee Rollason through-ball and sprinted clear of Jets skipper Crawford to slot the ball neatly under advancing goalkeeper Allison Lipsher to give the Sky Blues the advantage.

But the lead was to be short-lived as Newcastle restored parity in the 62nd minute. This time, Crawford produced the goods for her side, climbing highest to meet a Nicole Cross corner and send her thunderous header it into the empty net.

The see-saw battle continued, and Jets starlet Tara Andrews probed for an opening, continuing to look dangerous throughout the second-half.

However, it was to be Sydney who would strike the decisive blow, as Catherine Cannuli was brought down inside the area by Westfield Matildas defender Thea Slatyer in the 71st minute. Uzunlar stepped up confidently to convert the spot-kick, and duly dispatched the strike beyond the outstretched left hand of Lipsher.

The home side fought until the final whistle, though, and Kate Hensman nearly leveled matters once again as she broke quickly down the right flank in the 86th minute. But it wasn-t to be for the Jets, as Hensman's low strike hit the base of the post with shotstopper Dimi Poulos beaten.

The result is a boon for the Sydneysiders heading into next weekend's semi-finals, but was a disappointment for Newcastle whose slim finals hopes fell by the wayside in what was vice-captain Amber Neilson's final match before retirement.

Newcastle Jets: 1 (Crawford 62')

Sydney FC: 2 (Simon 56', Uzunlar 72' pen.)