Sydney holds off Adelaide

Sydney FC has continued its unbeaten start to the National Youth League with a hard-fought 2-1 triumph over Adelaide United at Seymour Shaw Park on Saturday.

Sydney FC has continued its unbeaten start to the National Youth League with a hard-fought 2-1 triumph over Adelaide United at Seymour Shaw Park on Saturday.

Sean Rooney and replacement striker Kerim Bulut did the damage for the hosts to set up a two-goal lead midway through the second stanza before Michael de Bono's opportunistic reply set up a grandstand finish.

But despite a few nervous moments, the Sky Blues held firm to claim maximum points and move into second spot on the standings.

Sydney midfielder Chris Triantis continued his strong start to the campaign while for the Reds Joel Allwright caused problems down the right flank throughout the contest.

The hosts looked the more dangerous outfit from the outset and came agonisingly close in just the second minute when Triantis combined with the dangerous Adam Biddle who pushed his shot just wide.

Adelaide's best chance came midway through the opening stanza when Osama Malik was brought down outside the box - Allwright's initial free-kick thundered into the wall but his second effort required more urgent attention.

Sydney's dominance was rewarded in the 29th minute when Rooney finished off some slick lead-up work with a clinical first-touch strike from the edge of the box.

Experienced custodian Ivan Necevski found first-gamer Brendan Gan on the run and the Sutherland product set sail for goal before linking with Rooney for the opening score.

The momentum stayed with the hosts who continued to keep Adelaide custodian Mark Birighitti busy but the Reds held firm to keep the deficit to a solitary goal at the interval.

Adelaide came out firing at the re-start but the first legitimate chance fell to Sydney off a well-taken corner kick - first-half goal-scorer Rooney coming within centimetres of his second with a reflex header.

While Sydney began to dominate, its second goal came against the run of play when Robbie Mileski turned defence into attack with a pin-point pass for fellow substitute Bulut to double the advantage in the 69th minute.

But the extra breathing space was short lived as De Bono pounced on a well-weighted pass three minutes later to open Adelaide's account.

His 72nd-minute strike set up a tense finish but the home side held firm under late fire for the victory.

Match Details

Sydney FC 2 (Sean Rooney 29-, Kerim Bulut 69-) Adelaide United 1 (Michael De Bono 72-)

Seymour Shaw, Sydney Saturday 11 October 2008 Referee: Steven Gregory

Sydney FC line-up: 1.Ivan NECEVSKI (gk) (OA) (20.Vedran JANJETOVIC (gk) 45-), 3.Adam BIDDLE, 10.Zach CAIRNCROSS, 11.Kofi DANNING (15.Kerim BULUT 58-), 14.Brendan GAN, 8.Anthony GOLEC, 2.Rhyan GRANT, 12.Ibrahim HAYDAR, 9.Sean ROONEY (6.Chris PAYNE 60-), 4.Chris TRIANTIS, 5.Mitchell PRENTICE (OA) (7.Robbie MILESKI 58-),

Substitutes not used: Nil

Yellow cards: Chris Triantis 37- Red Cards: Nil

Adelaide United line-up: 30.Mark BIRIGHITTI (gk) (20.Lucas ANDREUCCI (gk) 58-); 7.Joel ALLWRIGHT, 14.Travis ANDERSON, 2.Michael DOYLE (21.Angelo ARAMBATSIS 60-), 10.Osama MALIK, 4.Michael MARRONE, 9.Francesco MONTEROSSO, 8.Matthew MULLEN (16.Michael DE BONO 53-), 6.Alexander SUNASKY, 5.Shane TOBIAS, 3.Scott WEIDENBACH (12.Ivan PAVLAK 58-)

Substitutes not used: Nil

Yellow cards: Shane Tobias 65-, Alexander Sunasky 75- Red Cards: Nil