What a way to start Round 14 of the Hyundai A-League! A huge top-of-the-table clash between Sydney FC and Newcastle Jets at Allianz Stadium on Wednesday night.
The Sky Blues have been the Jets’ bogey team in recent years and enjoy an eight-point lead at the top from Ernie Merrick’s men.
But the Jets have made a habit of defying the odds this season and won’t be overwhelmed heading to Moore Park, where Sydney is unbeaten in their last 23 games.
For all the important pre-game stats, Opta Data has you covered.
- Sydney FC are undefeated in their last 14 Hyundai A-League games against Newcastle Jets (W12, D2), no team in the competition’s history has a longer run without loss against any other.
- Indeed, the Sky Blues have won their last five Hyundai A-League games against the Jets at Allianz Stadium by a combined score of 9-1.
- Sydney has won only one of their last five Hyundai A-League games played on a Wednesday (D1, L3), though the most recent of those fixtures came in 2012.
- 3.8% of all Jets’ touches this Hyundai A-League season have come in the opposition box, the highest percentage of any team in the competition.
- Between them, Sydney FC (33) and Newcastle Jets (30) have scored more than a third of all total goals scored so far this Hyundai A-League season (183), no other side has reached 20 goals yet.
- The Sky Blues have scored 15 goals in the 15 minutes either side of the half-time break this campaign (31-60mins), more than any other team in the competition.
- Sydney FC midfielderJosh Brillante has attempted 787 passes this campaign, more than any other player in the Hyundai A-League.
- Jets attacker Dimitri Petratos has created 43 scoring chances this Hyundai A-League season, more than any other player in the competition.