Sydney FC see off Melbourne City to extend lead at the top
Sydney FC weren't at their classy best but they still defeated a 10-man Melbourne City 3-1 on Friday night to kick off Round 11 in the Hyundai A-League.
If good sides win when they don't play well, then this showed why the Sky Blues are such a force in the league as they moved eight points clear of second before the remainder of the round.
To compound City's woes, striker Ross McCormack was subbed off in the first half with a left knee problem before Manny Muscat was red-carded in the second half.
STORY OF THE GAME
- GREAT SAVE: Redmayne with a super stop to keep out McCormack in the 1v1 after 14 mins.
- INJURY: McCormack off with a left knee problem, Nathaniel Atkinson on for City after 30 mins.
- GOAL: City take a deserved lead shortly with Brattan's powerful drive adjudged to have gone over the line.
- TWO GOALS: On the cusp of half time Mierzejewski then Bobo turned the game in favour of the hosts.
- 2-1 HALF TIME: Sydney FC showing why they are so clasy with two very late goals after a half in which they hardly impressed.
- CHANCE: Mierzejewski and Wilkshire combine well but the Pole heads over.
- NINKOVIC RETURNS: Milos Ninkovic came off the bench after 59 minutes.
- RED CARD: City's Manny Muscat sent off by Shaun Evans after the VAR determined his elbow on Michael Zullo was worthy of a red. Atkinson moving to right full back in his place.
- CLASSY SUB: Daniel Arzani, a 67th min sub for City, showed why he's rated so highly with some quality balls in behind Sydney FC.
- GREAT STOP: City caught in transition, Brillante fed Bobo but Bouzanis for City saved the 1 v 1 after 81 mins.
- GOAL: Brosque's super strike with virtually the last kick of the game.
- 3-1 FULL TIME
Brattan City 36', 0-1
Brattan with a first-time shot from an inch-perfect low cross by Jakobsen and it's smashed onto the underside of the bar and across the line. The VAR confirmed this moments later.
Mierzejewski Sydney FC 44', 1-1
The Polish international curling a perfect left-footed set piece over the wall and past Bouzanis. Del Piero esque!
Bobo (pen) Sydney FC 48', 2-1
Schenkefeld with the needless jostling on Buijs in the box, ref points to the spot and Bobo did what he does, planting it to Bouzanis' left.
Brosque Sydney FC 96', 3-1
Route one, as the long ball is headed on by Simon, Brosque finding the ball and smashing it home with virtually the last kick of the game.