Sydney FC secure Bridge

Sydney FC have secured the services of dual Championship striker Mark Bridge until the end of the 2012/13 Hyundai A-League season.

Sydney FC have secured the services of dual Championship striker Mark Bridge until the end of the 2012/13 Hyundai A-League season.

The 24-year-old, who joined the Sky Blues in 2008 from the Newcastle Jets, confirmed his new two-year deal with the club on Friday morning.

Bridge, a key member of the Sky Blues' Premiership/Championship double last season, also tasted grand-final success with Newcastle in 2007/08.

And the 2008 Beijing Olympian admits his hunger for more silverware was a major factor in his decision to re-sign with the club.

"We are the reigning champions and we have a good set-up here with some good young players coming through," Bridge said.

"We have everything here and I'm more than happy."

"I believe our coaching staff is probably the best in the league and with the players here I can improve over the next two seasons."

"We had a great year last year but I am, and I know all of the boys are, hungry for more. It is a great environment to be in here at Sydney FC."

Bridge has scored on 26 occasions in 94 A-League appearances to date, including nine goals last season.

He will form a lethal partnership with Alex Brosque and prize recruit Nick Carle in the upcoming campaign, which kicks off against arch rivals Melbourne Victory at the SFS on Saturday night.

"I never thought of leaving Sydney FC," Bridge said.

"The question isn't 'why would I stay' but more 'why would I go?'"

"We have worked really hard this preseason and I am just now ready to get out there and play."

"Brosquey and I do have a good partnership. Our whole team works together and that's enjoyable."

Sydney FC Vice Chairman Scott Barlow says the retention of Bridge, which follows the re-signing of Brosque and adding Carle, Liam Reddy and Scott Jamieson, bodes well for the club's future.

"At just 24-years-of-age Mark is already a very important member of the Sydney FC squad," Barlow said.

"We are very confident his best football years are ahead of him and we are very happy that he will be at Sydney FC during that period."