Sydney FC rocked as fast-starting Brisbane Roar storm 'Fortress Allianz'
Sydney FC's winless wobble stretched to four competitive matches as Brisbane Roar banked a precious 2-1 win at Allianz Stadium on Saturday night.
Matt McKay and Jacob Pepper were both on target inside 20 minutes to leave the champions with back-to-back Hyundai A-League defeats for the first time since April 2016.
Milos Ninkovic halved the deficit just shy of the hour, but the best their late rally produced was a Matt Simon shot against the post.
Instead, Brisbane clinched a third successive away victory that moves them just two points shy of the top six.
STORY OF THE GAME
- GOAL! Perfect start for Roar as McKay punishes some sleepy marking from a corner in the ninth minute.
- GOAL! It gets better for Brisbane with Pepper doubling the visitors' advantage following a free-kick.
- DENIED: The VAR intervenes to cancel out an Alex Wilkinson goal after the defender is shown to be offside on Adrian Mierzejewski's free-kick.
- GOAL! The Sky Blues are back in it on the hour thanks to Ninkovic's point-blank header.
- CHANCE: Ninkovic could have two in two minutes, but he dallies over the opening and shoots past the post.
- CHANCE: Massimo Maccarone is unable to make a clean connection with a close-range shot on the turn.
- POST: Substitute Simon fires into the near post from a narrow angle.
- CHANCE: Another opportunity for Simon, who can only turn Bobo's brilliant outside-of-the-boot pass into the side-netting.
- SAVE: Jamie Young keeps out Brandon O'Neill's free-kick deep into stoppage time to preserve three points.
Matt McKay, Brisbane Roar 9': 0-1
McKay is left free at the near post on Eric Bautheac's corner and squeezes a clever header past Andrew Redmayne.
Jacob Pepper, Brisbane Roar 18': 0-2
Ivan Franjic expertly heads Fahid Ben Khalfallah's deep free-kick back into the danger zone, where Pepper is on hand to bury the loose ball.
Milos Ninkovic, Sydney FC 59': 1-2
Young is beaten by the flight of Jordy Buijs' free-kick as Ninkovic is allowed to bury a simple, unchallenged header.