Sydney FC into GF

Sydney FC have moved into the Hyundai A-League grand final after easily accounting for Wellington Phoenix 4-2 in Saturday night's preliminary final at the SFS.

Sydney FC have moved into the Hyundai A-League grand final after easily accounting for Wellington Phoenix 4-2 in Saturday night's preliminary final at the SFS.

Two first half goals to substitute Chris Payne and one each to Mark Bridge and Alex Brosque in the second 45 ensured the home side's passage into next Saturday's grand final against Melbourne Victory.

Phoenix skipper Andrew Durante headed a first half goal and substitute Eugene Dadi bagged his side's second late but to no avail in front of a large contingent of traveling fans.

It was an entertaining night's football with six goals giving the 13,196 fans value for money on a wet night in the Harbour City.

After a cagey opening few minutes as both sides got accustomed to the heavy conditions it was Brosque with the first clear-cut chance of the game. The Socceroo striker burst through the Phoenix box but his left foot drive was parried brilliantly by keeper Liam Reddy.

Sydney continued to press back the visitors with Brosque his customary lively self up front. But on 18 minutes his strike partner Aloisi succumbed to injury and was substituted.

It was to prove a pivotal moment a few minutes later substitute Payne finished a barnstorming run into the Phoenix box with a cool strike under Reddy.

But just five minutes later Phoenix were back on level terms. Leo Bertos' curling free kick from the left was flicked on by Vince Lia and skipper Durante was perfectly placed at the far post to power his header past Clint Bolton for 1-1.

On the half hour mark it was the Sky Blues back on top in almost identical circumstances. Sung-Hwan Byun's curling free wasn't cleared by the Phoenix defence and Payne was there to guide it home for his and Sydney's second goal.

It ended 2-1 at the break although five minutes before half-time Paul Ifill had a great chance to make it 2-2 - his curling drive just went wide of Bolton's left-hand post.

And Ifill was at it again right on the break with his trickery creating space for a cross that was scrambled clear by Sydney's Simon Colosimo.

Karol Kisel had two good attempts on goal early in the second half but Reddy was up to them both - the second a stinging shot parried wide to Terry McFlynn who was again denied by the in-form glovesman.

Daniel came on for Troy Hearfield on the hour mark as Phoenix looked to add more attacking intent but it was Brosque who broke their resistance with a superbly taken goal.

Bridge broke through the Phoenix defence and Brosque's clever, angled run saw his strike partner play him in and his low shot went past Reddy to make it 3-1.

Minutes later Ifill's hard work created a chance for strike partner Chris Greenacre in the box but his shot went over the Sydney bar.

It was a costly miss as Sydney's “Killer Bs” combined on 70 minutes to break through a static Phoenix defence to comfortably slot a fourth past a helpless Reddy.

Payne could have had his hat-trick minutes later his tricky play in the box ended with a cracking shot palmed away by Reddy.

But with 10 minutes left on the clock Dadi got on the end of a cross from the right to angle his header past Bolton to give the visitor a sniff at 4-2. But Sydney locked the door in the final minutes to end Wellington's fairytale run in the finals.

Rejuvenated Sydney now head to Etihad stadium on Saturday for a blockbuster grand final against their bitter southern rival at Etihad stadium.

Sydney FC 4 (Payne 22, 31, Brosque 63, Bridge 71) Wellington Phoenix 2 (Durante 27, Dadi 81)

@ Sydney Football Stadium

Anybody keen to get to the game, checkout the link for the latest ticket info link title