Super-subs help Mariners earn point against Melbourne Victory in Geelong
Two second-half substitutes made an instant impact helping Central Coast Mariners to a 1-1 draw against Melbourne Victory in Geelong on Saturday.
It looked like Besart Berisha's goal would be enough for Kevin Muscat's men, but livewire teenager Lachlan Wales combined with fellow substitute Blake Powell to earn a point for the visitors with 20 mins to go.
With the temperature 29 degrees at kick off, drinks breaks were added for this game.
STORY OF THE GAME
- GOAL-SAVING CLEARANCE: Eight mins gone and Golec saved the Mariners brilliantly as Berisha, with the goal beckoning, was denied by the defender who cleared his poked effort away from the goal line.
- CROSSBAR HIT: A superb through ball by Victory's Troisi set Barbarouses free and the Kiwi smashed the ball onto the bar after 26 mins.
- CHANCE: Victory's George with the 50m run but the Dutch winger blasted over once he got into the box.
- CHANCE: Mariners' Hiariej with a superb ball over the top for Asdrubal but his low shot was denied by a superb low stop courtesy of Lawrence Thomas on 45 minutes.
- HALF-TIME: 0-0
- GOAL! Berisha opens the scoring. 1-0 after 48 mins.
- DJUBLIC CLASS: Dino Djulbic with a classy defensive tackle to keep out the visitors after 52 mins.
- TROISI DENIED: George fed Troisi but Kennedy in the CCM goal denied Victory a second with a good stop.
- GOAL! Mariners' Blake Powell with a super equaliser after 70 mins.
- STOPPAGE TIME DRAMA! Jai Ingham in front with the chance to win it for Victory. But he guided his effort well wide.
Berisha Victory 48' 1-0
A diagonal run across the Mariners box by Berisha, and with defenders around him, he found just enough space to hit a low accurate shot across Kennedy's left.
Powell Mariners 70' 1-1
Superb counter-attack as sub Lachy Wales - with his first touch - was set free and with pace got into the box and cleverly squared the ball to the on-rushing Blake Powell for a simple finish. What an introduction by the two subs.