Sky Blues above the Gold Coast

Sydney FC have beaten the Gold Coast for the first time and finally posted back-to-back victories this season after seeing off Miron Bleiberg's side 2-0 at the SFS on Saturday night.

Sydney FC have beaten the Gold Coast for the first time and finally posted back-to-back victories this season after seeing off Miron Bleiberg's side 2-0 at the SFS on Saturday night.

A brilliant strike by teenager Dimitri Petratos and a late goal by new Finnish signing Juho Makela separated the two sides, the victory keeping Sydney's faint finals hopes flickering for another week at least.

Gold Coast's difficult night was compounded by the sending off of defender Steve Fitsimmons in the second half for a crude tackle from behind on Sydney's Hiro Moriyasu.

Without a win in their last three games, the Gold Coast started brightly but couldn't sustain it and it appears they are really struggling to create many opportunities without skipper and Socceroo Jason Culina, away on international duty at the Asian Cup.

The Sky Blues deserved their win, their first against the Gold Coast in six attempts since the Queensland club entered the competition last season.

And they can thank the lively youngster Petratos for ending the drought.

After winning possession in their own half Sydney broke forward at pace through Moriyasu with the midfielder playing a superb reverse pass in behind the Gold Coast defence to leave Petratos one on one with goalkeeper Glen Moss.

Despite a tricky angle on the left, Petratos hit an unstoppable shot across goal and into the top left-hand corner of the net first his first goal in the A-League to bring the crowd of just over 6000 to their feet.

But there was a touch of controversy about it after Gold Coast midfielder Robson went down injured just as Sydney won possession, but instead of playing the ball out for him to receive treatment, the Sky Blues pushed forward and got the decisive breakthrough.

Gold Coast started the match full of promise against a Sydney side that has struggled in front of their home fans all season.

Robson was involved in everything good for the visitors early on and helped create the first chance after just eight minutes.

After Sydney lost possession in their own half, the ball fell to the crafty Brazilian who released Adama Traore down the left and the Ivorian's centre found its way to Bruce Djite but he could only scuff his shot wide.

Just five minutes later the Sky Blues were under pressure again, this time Zenon Caravella was on the end of a flowing Gold Coast attack but just like Djite the midfielder fired the wrong side of Liam Reddy's post.

The close calls seemed to spring Sydney to life and they started to take control of the match with two chances in as many minutes.

First marquee man Nicky Carle, who was playing his best game for the club, tested Moss with a stinging 25m strike on 19 minutes before Hiro Moriyasu also forced a diving save from the Gold Coast custodian.

But Sydney finally got the breakthrough their pressure deserved on 32 minutes through the off-contract Petratos, who did his chances of a new deal no harm with his superb goal.

Bleiberg brought on pacy youngster Chris Harold at the break and the visitors immediately went on the front foot winning three corners inside the first two minutes of the half.

But their chances of getting something from the game took a blow 25 minutes from the end when Fitsimmons was shown a straight red card for a lunging tackle on Moriyasu.

While replays showed there was little contact in the tackle, his studs were showing and referee Chris Beath had no hesitation in dismissing the defender.

Sydney seemed content to sit back and soak up the pressure after that but wrapped up the points in stoppage time when Makela, playing his first game in front of his home fans, poked home from close range after a neat through ball from substitute Sebastian Ryall.

Makela's celebration in front of the Sydney fans led to some disturbing scenes behind the goal, with defender Matt Jurman's leg getting caught underneath an advertising hoarding that collapsed under the weight of the Sky Blues supporters.

Sydney FC 2 (Petratos 32m, Makela 90m) Gold Coast United 0 Crowd: 6135 @ at the SFS