Six-goal thriller! Brisbane Roar's gutsy comeback in Wellington
In an incredible clash, Wellington Phoenix wasted an early 3-0 lead to eventually hang on to draw 3-3 against a brave Brisbane Roar in a classic game of two halves at Westpac Stadium on Saturday.
STORY OF THE GAME
- Phoenix were 3-0 up in the first 21 minutes including a contender for goal of the round from Roy Krishna.
- After such an entertaining opening 45 minutes, the second half was less eye-catching and more physical.
- Phoenix sat back and with Roar's second goal the visitors' confidence rose.
- Roar's third capped off an incredible comeback from a hopeless situation.
- Roar finished strongest as Phoenix tried to hold on for a point, with both sides still remaining winless this season.
Kaludjerovic, Phoenix 1’: 1-0
Dario Vidosic picked out Kaludjerovic inside the box with the big striker rising highest to bury a clinical header past the despairing Theo.
Krishna, Phoenix 18’: 2-0
Goal of the round? Wellington counter with precise movement, the long ball from McGlinchey to Krishna who sets himself and blasts a superb shot from a long way out. What a goal.
Kaludjerovic, Phoenix 21’: 3-0
Krishna with a run down the right. His ball to the far post finds Kaluđjerović who scores his second goal for the match. Wellington in Wanderland!
Maccarone, Roar 45': 3-1
A header parried by Smith in goal with the Italian on the spot for the easiest of tap ins. Game on.
Papadopoulos, Roar 66': 3-2
Ben Khalfallah smashes a wicked free kick towards the near post, Smith parries it and Papadopoulos reacts the quickest to guide home.
Maccarone (pen), Roar 82': 3-3
The excellent Papadopoulos was brought down and after some theatrics from Smith, the Italian converted easily.