Sensational Wanderers roll Roar to boost Finals Series hopes
A resurgent Western Sydney Wanderers FC have kept their finals hopes alive with a well-deserved 3-0 win over Brisbane Roar FC at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.
Wanderers scored three times in the opening 40 minutes to blow away a lacklustre Roar side thanks to the sensational Oriol Riera, Alvaro Cejudo and Chris Ikonomidis in the front third.
The result sets up a season-defining blockbuster in Perth next weekend as Roar face in-form Glory, with both clubs hoping to squeeze into sixth.
But Wanderers, a point ahead of Glory and Roar, are now in the box seat ahead of their home clash with the Reds next week.
STORY OF THE GAME
- GOAL! Riera bullets home a fabulous header for a perfect start inside four minutes.
- END-TO-END OPENING Both sides clearly going for it with action at both ends.
- BRILLIANT WANDERERS Roar opened up wide but Cejudo's low shot blocked by Pepper
- GOAL! Riera makes it 2-0 inside 15 mins
- BUTCHERED CHANCE Roar hit on the break but Maccarone fluffed a golden chance to get back in the contest
- IKO ON THE BURST Ikonomidis bursts through wide right but his shot is pushed wide by Young
- GOAL! 3-0 after Ikonomidis's lovely header
- HALF TIME 3-0 A listless Roar deservedly with a mountain to climb against a resurgent Wanderers
- SUPER CEJUDO Cheeky backheel from his burst forward slips in Ikonomidis who hits the post with a low shot
- RIERA AND CEJUDO AGAIN Should've been 4-0 with both Spaniards going close after 53 mins
- HINGERT KEEPS OUT WSW In transition and it's two v one, but the Roar defender gets a touch to guide Ikonomidis' effort away for a corner.
- BACCUS BLASTS Keanu hits a rocket low and just wide as the final 20 mins approaches
- HOLMAN OFFSIDE Maccarone hits the net but Holman is ruled offside after 80 mins. It's not been Roar's night as Cejudo takes an early mark. He's been superb.
- INJURY CONCERN FOR IKONOMIDIS? He clutched at his hamstring/groin but soldiered on as the game went into stoppage time
Riera WSW 1-0, 3'
A well-worked set piece with Cejudo from the right finding Riera who peels off and bullets home the opener low and hard past Young.
Riera WSW 2-0, 14'
Riera gets his second with a tap-in after an absolutely superb save from Young. The Roar keeper clawed out the Spaniard's header but the marquee was first to the ball as he slid it home
Ikonomidis WSW 3-0, 40'
Riera should have scored but couldn't get onto a low cross right in front, but the ball fell to Llorente on the wing, and Ikonomidis powered home his header.