Round 19 in Review

We take a look back at a thrilling Round 19 of Hyundai A-League action, which saw another shake up of the top six.

Adelaide United 2-0 Central Coast Mariners

Adelaide United moved into third-spot on the Hyundai A-League ladder following a well-earned 2-0 victory against Central Coast Mariners at Coopers Stadium on Friday night.

First half goals to Marcelo Carrusca and Fabio Ferreira helped the Reds to their seventh win of the campaign.

The first real opportunity of the match fell to Central Coast attacking ace Bernie Ibini just before the ten-minute mark as he caught Adelaide-s defence out of position but pushed his effort well over the bar.

However, the hosts dominated the majority of play and were rewarded in the 33rd minute as Argentine playmaker Carrusca found the net after some sloppy Mariners defending.

Adelaide doubled their advantage on the stroke of half time when goalscorer Carrusca found the boot of Ferreira, who netted his sixth goal of the season.

Josep Gombau-s side continued to control the tempo in the second stanza but the goals from Carrusca and Ferreira proved enough for United to claim all three points.

The Mariners have now suffered three successive defeats and have slipped to fifth on goal difference on the Hyundai A-League table.

Sydney FC 2-1 Perth Glory

A stunning goal from former Young Socceroos captain Terry Antonis earned Sydney FC a 2-1 win over Perth Glory at Allianz Stadium on Saturday evening.

Ranko Despotovic opened the scoring for the Sky Blues in the 17th minute after linking with Italian superstar Alessandro Del Piero. Despotovic made no mistake as he netted his sixth goal in 12 matches.

The Round 19 clash marked Socceroo Sasa Ognenovski-s return to Australia-s top flight after spending the past five years abroad in Korea Republic and Qatar.

The home side-s second goal of the contest came via the boot of Antonis midway through the second stanza, in his first start of the season following an eight-month injury absence.

Glory opened their account only minutes later as a Nebojsa Marinkovic free kick found the head of former Mariner Rostyn Griffiths, who sent the ball past Sydney shot stopper Vedran Janjetovic.

Young gun Aaron Calver was handed his marching orders in the dying stages after receiving a second caution but Frank Farina-s men held on to seal all three points.

Wellington Phoenix 0-5 Melbourne Heart

A David Williams- hat trick combined with goals to Dutch duo Orlando Engelaar and Robbie Wielaert helped Melbourne Heart to a shock 5-0 win at Westpac Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Heart started the game brightly and opened their account early on as marquee man Engelaar fired a superb strike into the net.

Williams scored his first of three in the 19th minute, before adding to the scoreboard in the 51st and 63rd minutes respectively, either side of Wielaert-s strike just after the break.

Melbourne have now recorded three consecutive victories and claimed their first win away from Victoria since December 2011.

Brisbane Roar 0-1 Newcastle Jets

Newcastle Jets sealed their third win against ladder leaders Brisbane Roar this campaign following a 1-0 win at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday evening thanks to Adam Taggart-s penalty just before the hour mark.

Roar came close to opening the scoring early on as Albanian ace Besart Berisha tried his luck after connecting with a cross from Ivan Franjic, but Newcastle ‘keeper Mark Birighitti was up to the task as he made an impressive save.

The Jets had a great chance to break the deadlock after 25 minutes as Josh Mitchell provided a pinpoint pass to Taggart, who struck wide.

Newcastle right-back Josh Brilliante was awarded a penalty with over half an hour left to play after he was brought down by Shane Stefanutto inside the area. Taggart made no mistake as he fired the visitors into the lead.