Roar win W-League title

Brisbane Roar are 2010/11 Westfield W-League champions with the Roar overturning last year’s grand final result with a 2-1 victory at a wet Campbelltown Stadium.

Brisbane Roar are 2010/11 Westfield W-League champions with the Roar overturning last year-s grand final result with a 2-1 victory at a wet Campbelltown Stadium.

Star forward Lisa De Vanna proved to be the heroine scoring the winner midway through the second half after scores were level at the interval.

Player of the match Tameka Butt setting the Roar on their way with the opener on ten minutes before Sydney skipper Kylie Ledbrook restored parity on 34 minutes.

The home side started as marginal favourites having won the premiership a fortnight ago, three points clear of their rivals. The Roar had failed to win any of their three previous outings only securing a grand final berth with a penalty shoot-out victory over Canberra United, while the Sky Blues had been in rampant attacking form in recent matches.

The Roar enjoyed a dream start with Butt powering a header from Lana Harch-s perfect cross. The Roar-s leading goalscorer maintaining a remarkable record of scoring in all three W-League grand finals.

The same pair combined at the midway point of the first half with Butt releasing Harch who pushed the ball past advancing goalkeeper Dimi Poulos only for the ball to run out of play.

Sydney were rarely able to threaten the Roar goal in the first half, but inspirational Sky Blues captain Kylie Ledbrook conjured a stunning goal from nothing by clipping a perfect lofted shot over Roar goalkeeper Casey Dumont.

Brisbane were then dealt a blow five minutes before the interval as Harch suffered a suspected broken ankle in an innocuous challenge; De Vanna entered the fray for the stricken Roar forward.

Sydney FC enjoyed a let-off during first-half injury time as Amy Chapman, despite having a good sight of goal, was unable to direct her shot on target after cutting in from the right. The home side showed their intent in the early moments of the second half with a stinging long-range goal bound shot from the league-s leading scorer Kyah Simon was spectacularly tipped over by Dumont.

Poulos then saved a curling De Vanna effort but a quick release and counter-attack ended with Dumont making an important save as Simon set up Ledbrook.

On 66 minutes De Vanna scored what proved to the winner after skipping past defender Danielle Brogan and slipping the ball past an exposed Poulos.

Roar substitute Kennya Cordner had a golden opportunity to seal the match with 13 minutes remaining only to push her shot into the side-netting with just Poulos to beat.

Impressive Roar midfielder Lauren Colthorpe then blazed narrowly wide after Brogan made a timely interception as Butt was about to pull the trigger.

Sydney threw everything they had at the Roar in dying minutes but were unable to conjure the goal that would send the match into extra time.

"Credit to the girls, they stuck with it and put their bodies on the line getting their reward in the end," said Brisbane Roar coach Jeff Hopkins.

"The game at the beginning of the season (a 4-2 home defeat) gave us a real wake-up call. We have worked on a number of things since and I thought our performance today defensively and also going forward was one of our best of the season."

Sydney FC 1 (Ledbrook 35m) Brisbane Roar 2 (Butt 9m, De Vanna 64m) Crowd: 1,872