Roar and Phoenix in stalemate on the Gold Coast
Both keepers pulled off clutch saves as Brisbane Roar FC and Wellington Phoenix drew 0-0 on Saturday in the Hyundai A-League.
The heavens threatened to open all game but the rains held off at Cbus Super Stadium on the Gold Coast.
Both sides huffed and puffed and Phoenix were the more impressive of the two sides, but neither could find a way past the keepers; Roar's Jamie Young and Lewis Italiano in the Phoenix goal.
STORY OF THE GAME
- On an absolute carpet of a pitch, Roar started the stronger, creating a number of half chances.
- Corey Brown had an excellent chance to open the scoring on the half hour mark, after a ball into the box spilt to the returning full back Brown but he guided the ball over the bar.
- Roar's Eric Bautheac signalled to the bench clutching his hamstring. The classy Frenchman left the pitch on 41 minutes for Mitch Oxborrow.
- Phoenix hit back strongly in the 10 minutes before the break with Roar keeper Jamie Young pulling off a series of saves to keep out Kaluderovic's header, Vidosic's powerful low strike and Ridenton's shot.
- Six minutes after the resumption Roar should have found the opener, but striker Massimo Maccarone guided his header in the six-yard box into the ground and over.
- Corey Gameiro was a substitute for Roar on 66 minutes after multiple injuries blighting the attacker over recent years. His enthusiasm and clever runs were soon causing the visitors problems.
- Tom Doyle and Peter Skapetis were both booked after a scuffle in the final 10 minutes.
- Gameiro was brilliantly put through by Skapetis but the advancing Lewis Italiano blocked the Roar striker's shot in the one-on-one in the final few minutes.
- FULL TIME: 0-0