Returning hero Henrique fires Roar past Mariners
Brisbane Roar piled the pressure on their fellow Finals Series hopefuls with a 1-0 win over Central Coast Mariners at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday.
Henrique scored his first goal for the club in almost two years to lift Roar two points above Western Sydney Wanderers, who visit fifth-placed Melbourne Victory later on Saturday.
Central Coast went close on a couple of occasions while caretaker coach Wayne O'Sullivan handed a debut to Jordan Smylie, but the visitors lacked the cutting edge to avoid a 10th defeat in their last 12 meetings with Brisbane.
STORY OF THE GAME
- GOAL! The Mariners' encouraging start evaporates as Henrique buries an early opener.
- CHANCE: Blake Powell slices a bouncing ball wide from inside the area.
- CROSSBAR: Incredible scenes as Andrew Hoole's superb free-kick hits the underside of the bar and bounces off the line, before Powell and Alan Baro spoil each other on the follow-up header.
- PENALTY SHOUT: Roar appeal for handball against Kye Rowles, but the referee deems it unintentional.
- SAVE: Central Coast should draw level, but Jamie Young makes himself big to deny Connor Pain at point-blank range.
- CHANCE: Ivan Franjic's header is nodded off the line by Rowles on the edge of half-time.
- CHANCE: Hoole dribbles without pressure to the near post, only to waste the moment as he gets caught between a shot and a cross.
- DISALLOWED: Massimo Maccarone has a goal chalked off for Eric Bautheac's push in the process.
- SAVE: Ben Kennedy gets down low to keep out Jack Hingert's effort from a tight angle.
Henrique, Brisbane Roar 13': 1-0
Hingert's pass releases Bautheac around the right and he cuts a smart pass back to Henrique, who finishes coolly into the bottom left corner.