Reds Youth outpoint GCU

Adelaide United Youth took the points with a solid 2-0 win over Gold Coast United Youth at Owen Park on Sunday.

Adelaide United Youth took the points with a solid 2-0 win over Gold Coast United Youth at Owen Park on Sunday.

Two first-half goals were enough for Adelaide with the Red-s fielding an experienced side for the Round-19 clash including four A-league starters Robert Cornthwaite, Lloyd Owusu, Inseob Shin and Paul Reid.

Owusu-s impact was immediate, earning the Reds a penalty in the first minute of the match after he was brought down in the area by Gold Coast defender Zac Anderson. Captain Mathew Mullen took responsibility for the spot kick and slotted low into the bottom corner sending United ‘keeper Jerrad Tyson the wrong way.

In warm sunny conditions the first 20 minutes saw movement between both ends, however both defences held their lines cancelling out any movement into the final third.

After a great inter-play between Tahj Minnicon and Chris Harold, Andrew Barisic was unlucky not to equalise for Gold Coast on 25 minutes. His effort from inside the area hit the up-right and bounced out back into the head of out-stretched Reds- ‘keeper Mark Birighitti and out for a corner.

Harold then rose well from Mitch Bevan-s cross into the area and saw his effort crash into the cross-bar.

United-s stocks were dealt a blow after the move with Barisic having to come-off after he couldn-t shake an early knock he received to his hip. Coach Mike Mulvey brought on Ben Halloran to join Harold up-front.

Adelaide then extended its lead just before half-time when Tyson failed to deal with Francesco Monterosso-s shot from out-side the area. The ‘keeper who was off his line, managed to get a hand to the effort but it wasn-t enough as the ball slid across the line giving the Reds a two goal cushion heading into the second-half.

Returning from the rooms Dino Djulbic was replaced by Josh Brillante as Gold Coast looked to go on the attack early. With United moving forward Adelaide Youth defender Dane Milovanovic then received the first yellow of the match after a crunching tackle on Harold.

Looking to pull a goal back Matt Osman forced Birighitti to save with a curling right foot effort after a good one-two with Halloran opened up some space at the edge of the area.

On the hour-mark substitute Evan Kostopoulous made a run at Gold Coast defence and hit a low drive at Tyson, the ‘keeper was aware this time around and made a comfortable save low to his left.

As the game moved from end-to-end United then had reason for a penalty when Harold darted onto a ball that spilled into the penalty area. Reaching it before Birighitti the striker was bundled over by the Red-s custodian but much to the dismay of players Referee Mathew Gillett waved play on.

After featuring in Saturday night-s A-league match for Gold Coast crafty midfielder James Brown had a good effort on target from outside the area in the 73rd minute, Birighitti equal to the effort making the save to his right.

Adelaide Youth-s second yellow a minute later when wing-back Perry Mitris was booked for kicking the ball away from a United free-kick.

Knocking the ball around well, Brown played a great ball into the path of Harold who shot just wide, but as the clocked ticked down for Gold Coast, Adelaide managed to stall their attempts to go forward and Reds Youth notched up their seventh win of the season.

The loss still leaves Gold Coast third on 28 points however Adelaide who sit behind in fourth now move to within a point of United on 27 points.

Gold Coast United Youth - 0 Adelaide United - 2 (Mullen, 2- - Monterosso, 45-)

@ Owen Park Southport