Adelaide United took a giant step towards securing a Hyundai A-League Finals Series berth with a shock 5-2 drubbing over Newcastle Jets at Coopers Stadium.
After struggling to score goals in recent weeks, Marco Kurz’s troops broke the shackles on Friday night in one of their most dominant performances of the campaign.
Catch up with the major facts and stats from an entertaining night in the City of Churches.
- Adelaide picked up a fifth win in seven Hyundai A-League games against Newcastle at Coopers Stadium (D1, L1), in a game which equaled the record for most goals in a game between the two clubs (7).
- The Reds scored multiple goals in a Hyundai A-League game against the Jets for the first time since giving them a 7-0 thumping in January 2015.
- The Jets conceded five goals in a Hyundai A-League game for the first time since March 2017, a 5-0 loss to Wellington; tonight’s loss sees their six-game undefeated streak come to an end.
- Adelaide blasted eight shots on target by game’s end, the last time they made more in a Hyundai A-League game was in November 2017 against the Mariners (9 shots on target)
- Reds attacker Johan Absalonsen has been involved in 1.1 goals per game this Hyundai A-League season (5 goals, 4 assists in 8 games), only Sydney FC’s Bobo (1.2) has been involved in more.