Queensland claim Westfield W-League Premiership

Queensland Roar are the inaugural Westfield W-League Premiers, with still two rounds to play after defeating Melbourne Victory in their top of the table clash at Bob Jane Stadium.

Queensland Roar are the inaugural Westfield W-League Premiers, with still two rounds to play after defeating Melbourne Victory in their top of the table clash at Bob Jane Stadium. The 3-1 win sees them eight points clear of second Newcastle Jets, who recorded a 2-1 win over Adelaide United on Sunday. The big upset of the round came at Parramatta Stadium, where bottom of the table Perth Glory scored a 1-0 win over Sydney FC, while Canberra United moved into the top four with a solid 3-0 win over Central Coast Mariners.

Results - Round 8 Melbourne Victory 1 lost QUEENSLAND ROAR 3 Sydney FC 0 lost PERTH GLORY 1 Central Coast Mariners 0 lost CANBERRA UNITED 3 NEWCASTLE JETS 2 beat Adelaide United 1

Game Wraps

Queensland made it 6 straight wins and in the process clinching the Westfield W-League Premiership and a guaranteed home semi final. Played in atrocious conditions at Bob Jane Stadium, the Roar proved far too good for second placed Melbourne Victory, going to a two-goal lead early in the match and looking comfortable despite the absence of captain Kate McShea to suspension. In form Courtney Beutel got the ball rolling for Queensland after 10 minutes, when she noticed Melissa Barbieri off her line and despite the attention of two defenders, managed to lob her shot over the keeper. Alicia Ferguson doubled the lead in the 23rd minute thanks to an awful error by Barbieri, who failed to hold Ferguson-s stinging free kick from 30 metres and eventually slapping the ball over the line. Brittany Timko pulled a goal back for Victory three minutes later, picking up an errant back pass, rounding Casey Dumont and from an acute angle guided her shot home. The match was effectively ended 10 minutes after the break when Tameka Butt curling a beautiful shot into the top corner.

Sydney FC-s final hopes took a major dive at Parramatta Stadium, going down 1-0 to bottom side Perth Glory. Marianna Tabain-s 65th minute strike settled the game in a match that Sydney dominated. Sydney looked up for it from the start with Luisa Marzotta in the Glory goal forced into saves from Leena Khamis and Danielle Small. The game was going along a similar vain in the second half when Tabain struck against the run of play, pouncing on a defensive error and striking home. The game opened up after the goal, but Perth held on for a gutsy win and in the process saw them move off the bottom of the table for the first time this season.

Canberra United showed its finals potential with an emphatic 3-0 win over Central Coast Mariners in the second match of the double-header at Parramatta Stadium. With Canberra just about at full strength, they proved too strong for the youthful Mariners side that was unable to repeat last week-s performance which saw them net six goals against Adelaide. Once Canberra grabbed the initiative with the opening goal to Ellie Brush, a header from a corner on 21 minutes, it was one-way traffic. Caitlin Munoz struck the crossbar soon after and Ashleigh Sykes shot into the side-netting prior to the break. Sykes saw a goal disallowed soon after the break while Munoz was denied in quick succession by keeper Emma-Kate Dewhurst and a goalline clearance from Munoz- follow up shot. A second goal loomed likely for Canberra and it duly arrived after 71 minutes through Hayley Crawford from near the penalty spot, while Munoz rounded off the scoring with a cool finish 12 minutes from time.

Newcastle Jets jumped to second on the congested ladder, coming from behind to beat Adelaide United at Wanderers Oval in Newcastle. The Jets winner came with 11 minutes remaining, midfielder Amber Neilson grabbing the winner for her side. Adelaide though, coming off last week-s 6-0 humiliation by the Mariners, struck first after 23 minutes, following a penalty converted at the second attempt. Victoria Balomenos- initial kick was well saved by Alison Logue, but the Balomenos was given a second chance for Neilson encroaching into the penalty area and the South Australian made no mistakes with the second opportunity. Logue made a spectacular save to deny Sandra Scalzi, before Newcastle leveled the match after 36 minutes through a magnificent strike by Sanna Frostevall. The winner came late in the match after a good team goal, finished off by Neilson with a terrific shot from the edge of the area.

Weekend Goals Tally: 11

Card Count: 6 yellows - 0 reds

Leading Goalscorers 6 - Leena Khamis (SFC) 5 - Kyah Simon (CCM), Courtney Beutel (QR) 4 - Katie Gill (NJ), Lana Harch (QR), Lauren Colthorpe (QR) 3 - Sandra Scalzi (AU), Sharon Black (AU), Renee Rollason (CCM), Lisa De Vanna (PG), Trudy Camilleri (CCM), Alicia Ferguson (QR), Caitlin Munoz (CU), Marianna Tabain (PG)