Phoenix too strong for 10-man Victory
Wellington Phoenix have claimed just their second win of the Hyundai A-League season following a come-from-behind 2-1 triumph over Melbourne Victory at Westpac Stadium on Wednesday night.
Phoenix dominated much of the contest after Victory’s Rhys Williams was sent off inside the opening 10 minutes, but fell behind to a sucker-punch from Kosta Barbarouses just before half-time.
But their pressure eventually told in the second stanza with a strike from Roy Krishna and an own goal from Mark Milligan securing Phoenix a crucial three points.
0-1 Melbourne Victory: Kosta Barbarouses, 40’
Barbarouses found space down the right flank and weaved his way past Tom Doyle before firing a powerful strike past Lewis Italiano from a tight angle.
1-1 Wellington Phoenix: Roy Krishna, 64’
Nathan Burns’ left-footed strike squeezed through the grasp of Victory keeper Lawrence Thomas with Krishna pouncing on the loose ball from close range.
2-1 Wellington Phoenix: Mark Milligan (OG), 83’
Nathan Burns fired a fizzing ball across the face of goal with Milligan inadvertently turning the ball into his own net under pressure from Andrija Kaluderovic.
STORY OF THE GAME
- 8’ RED CARD - Victory defender Rhys Williams was shown a straight red card after bringing down Phoenix striker Andrija Kaluderovic who was through on goal. Williams was initially shown a yellow card but the decision was upgraded to a red card following the intervention of the VAR.
- 15’ POST – Phoenix almost took advantage of their extra man with Matthew Ridenton smacking the base of the upright from the edge of the area.
- 19’ SAVE – Kaluderovic was played in behind and forced a smart save from Victory keeper Lawrence Thomas.
- 22’ SUB – New recruit Nathan Burns was introduced into the game in place of defender Marco Rossi as Darije Kalezic looked to utilise Phoenix’s numerical advantage.
- 40’ GOAL – Barbarouses weaved his way into the area before firing a powerful strike from a tight angle which beat Lewis Italiano at the near post.
- 48’ CHANCE – A horror back-pass from James Troisi was pounced on by Roy Krishna but his off-balance shot was well cut out by Leigh Broxham.
- 55’ POST – Tom Doyle’s clearance-come-shot from distance was destined to nestle in the back of the net only for Victory keeper Lawrence Thomas to athletically tip the ball onto the post.
- 64’ GOAL – Phoenix’s pressure eventually told with Roy Krishna pouncing on a horror error from Thomas following a shot from Nathan Burns.
- 71’ CHANCE - Matija Ljujic was picked out by Matt Ridenton inside the area but the Serbian couldn’t direct his header on target.
- 83’ GOAL – Burns fired a dangerous ball across goal with Victory’s Mark Milligan getting the final touch under immense pressure.
- 90’+3 CHANCE – Andrija Kaluderovic and Matt Ridenton both had clear-cut chances for Phoenix saved by Lawrence Thomas.