Match report: Ross McCormack rocket gives Melbourne City the win over brave Phoenix
Ross McCormack opened his account in stunning fashion in the Hyundai A-League to hand Melbourne City a barely deserved 1-0 victory over an industrious Wellington Phoenix on Saturday.
Melbourne City remain 100% and are three wins from three, but it was Wellington who caught the eye for the most part at AAMI Park.
Phoenix continued their improvement under new coach Darije Kalezic but were unable to find the back of the net against a City who were solid rather than spectacular.
STORY OF THE GAME
- Phoenix began brightly, looking well organised and occasionally dangerous in the final third. The visitors deserved more but went in 0-0 at the break
- Wellington had an excellent chance to take the lead after the break. Vidosic combining superbly with Kaluderovic, but La Rocca was able to block the striker's poor effort. They were left to rue that miss
- With almost 20 minutes left, Scottish import Ross McCormack smashed a superb free kick to break open the game.
- With six minutes to go in regulation time, Roy Krishna smashed a shot against the post after Phoenix broke through.
- The visitors pushed hard in the last few minutes as City were camped in their own defensive third, but the hosts held on for their third win from three.
- Matt Ridenton and Dario Vidosic were Phoenix's best while Nick Fitzgerald was his customary lively up front with Bruce Kamau for City.
McCormack, City 69’: 1-0
With almost 20 minutes left, Scottish import Ross McCormack smashed a superb free kick from distance, past a poorly set up wall to beat Keegan Smith low to his right.