Phoenix hold Gold Coast

Gold Coast United has ended a frustrating Friday night with just one point after a 0-0 result against draw specialists Wellington Phoenix at Skilled Park.

Gold Coast United has ended a frustrating Friday night with just one point after a 0-0 result against draw specialists Wellington Phoenix at Skilled Park.

In a lacklustre affair, Wellington shut down Gold Coast, which was unable to produce its brand of free-flowing, attacking football as the Phoenix shared the points for the sixth time in nine outings this season.

After the match Gold Coast coach Miron Bleiberg admitted his side looked a bit nervous against a structured Wellington side.

"You have to give credit to Wellington they were well organised, we didn't deserve to win ... I think we were all a bit nervous and it didn't work for us," Bleiberg said.

"We were not as free-flowing as we should be, but in some situations when it doesn't work for you sometimes it is better to get a point," he said.

United was tipped to come out of the blocks firing after last week's defeat, but that was short-lived as Wellington took control of the match early on.

Gold Coast could have been mistaken for the away side, Wellington creating the first two chances of the match.

Leo Bertos flashed a drive over the bar in the ninth minute and Chris Greenacre nodded a header wide from a corner four minutes later.

Continuing to call the shots, a Paul Ifill run towards the top of the box in the 27th minute earned the Phoenix a free kick, Bertos menacing United's goal, forcing keeper Jess Van Strattan to scramble a save.

Three minutes later Bertos had yet another shot on goal, a darting run across the box that beat two United defenders, producing a shot that whistled past Van Strattan's left post.

Gold Coast had its first real chance in first-half stoppage time, Jason Culina delivering a pass from deep inside United's half to Matt Osman who cut into the box from the right flank, a nicely-hit left-foot strike forcing a save from Phoenix keeper Mark Paston.

As the sides emerged from the break, it took until the 61st minute for either side's goal to be threatened.

Phoenix midfielder Daniel hit the cross bar from a well-delivered Bertos corner, the Brazilian unlucky to score after he rose well above United defenders.

All-White Bertos looked lively all match, his movement on both flanks causing problems for United full backs Adama Traore and Osman.

Wellington continued to control possession for the majority of the second half, however when Gold Coast did gain the ball, it was unable to supply isolated forwards Shane Smeltz and Joel Porter.

With Qantas Socceroos coach Pim Verbeek watching from the stands, Gold Coast looked tentative all night opting for a more conservative 4-3-1-2 formation.

This proved to be the fault for United, defensive midfielders Robson and Anderson sitting too close to the back four, isolating forwards Smeltz and Porter.

Chances were few and far between for both sides but the positive for Gold Coast was its first clean sheet since it beat Adelaide 2-0 back in Round 3.

Wellington coach Ricki Herbert was pleased with his side's result but was frustrated at its ability to capitalise on chances.

"To come to the Gold Coast and to get a point in any season would be a good result ... we had them on the back foot tonight," Herbert said.

"I thought they were a bit vulnerable and they probably were to be fair."

"The last month-and-a-half has been about playing well ... we had chances tonight and that's the frustrating thing," he said.

Gold Coast 0 Wellington 0 @ Skilled Park Crowd: 4209