Match report: Petratos stunner keeps Jets flying high after win over Brisbane
A contender for goal of the season by Dimi Petratos has helped keep the Jets juggernaut rolling after a 2-1 win over Brisbane Roar on Sunday afternoon in the Hyundai A-League
The win keeps Newcastle's excellent record in the Queensland capital, however, the game was overshadowed by an horrific looking second half injury to Newcastle's Ronny Vargas.
Roar handed a debut to French winger Eric Bautheac and he showed glimpses of what he can bring to the club in the 45 minutes he played, but the Jets continue to catch the eye with a disciplined and clinical display.
STORY OF THE GAME
- The Jets started the brighter of the two and it wasn't long before they found an opener with Roy O'Donovan's fifth in just three games.
- Just on half time Dimi Petratos with a contender for goal of the season regained the lead for the Jets after an own goal minutes earlier had Roar back on level terms.
- The Jets lost Venezualan international Ronny Vargas to a nasty looking injury just before the hour mark after a tangle for the ball with Matty McKay. He was stretchered off after a long delay which contributed to eight minutes of time added on.
- Roar thought they'd got back to 2-2 but after celebrating Maccarone's excellent finish it was deemed offside by the VAR with the Italian adjudged to have been offside in the lead up.
- Full back Ivan Vujica was a standout for the Jets.
O’Donovan, Jets 12’, 0-1
Ivan Vujica with a low cross to the far post to O'Donovan who evades his defender and tapped in his fifth goal of the season. Too easy.
Boogaard OG, Roar 42’: 1-1
A good early ball in from Hingert is missed by Bautheac and straight onto the boot of Boogaard who can't change his body position and it deflects it into the back of his own net.
Petratos, Jets 44’: 1-2
The former Brisbane Roar star went boom from outside the box and it was an absolute ripper! What a goal as Mike Theo was left powerless to stop the thunderbolt.