Papadopoulos punishes sloppy City to end Roar's wait
Avraam Papadopoulos scored an unlikely brace to give Brisbane Roar a drought-breaking 3-1 win over a careless Melbourne City at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.
The defender bookended the scoring by punishing a pair of defensive errors as City proved the architects of their own downfall.
Leading after just five minutes, Roar improved their buffer on the stroke of half-time through Eric Bautheac.
Stefan Mauk, who squandered two first half opportunities, pulled one back within 10 minutes of the restart and the visitors appeared ready to deny Brisbane a first win of the season.
But a Eugene Galekovic error gifted Papadopoulos the chance to his seal his side's maiden victory, and exact revenge for the Round 1 defeat they suffered in Melbourne.
STORY OF THE GAME
- Roar took the lead almost out of nothing as Iacopo La Rocca and Galekovic enabled Papadopoulos to head in from a seemingly innocuous situation.
- Stefan Mauk spurned a pair of chances to square the ledger, first blazing over the bar from close range and then having a meek finish held comfortably by Jamie Young.
- Warren Joyce introduced Neil Kilkenny and Luke Brattan at the break and the latter set Mauk into space to cut the deficit in the 54th minute.
- Jamie Young then stuck out a strong right hand to push a goal-bound Kilkenny effort around the post as City's fightback gathered momentum.
- But Galekovic allowed a free-kick to slip through his hands on 70 minutes to gift Papadopoulos the sealer.
- Young made a fine late to deny Marcin Budzinski and Osama Malik headed over for a second time as the visitors' hopes faded.
Papadopoulos, Brisbane Roar 5': 1-0
La Rocca headed unconvincingly high into the air and Galekovic was beaten to the follow-up contest by Papadopoulos, who bravely nodded home.
Bautheac, Brisbane Roar 43': 2-0
La Rocca was again at fault as his wayward back-pass enabled Maccarone to tee up Bautheac for a cool finish into the bottom corner.
Mauk, Melbourne City 54': 2-1
Brattan set Mauk away down the right and, with time to pick his spot at close range, the midfielder squeezed his finish between Jamie Young and the near post.
Papadopoulos, Brisbane Roar 70': 3-1
Galekovic fumbled a floated free-kick and Papadopoulos forced home the loose ball on the turn to seal the victory.