O'Donovan powers Jets to entertaining win over Phoenix
A man of the match performance from Roy O'Donovan powered an energetic and impressive Newcastle Jets to an emphatic 3-0 home victory over Wellington Phoenix on Saturday night.
STORY OF THE GAME
- Phoenix keeper Keegan Smith making three saves in the opening six minutes as the Jets began full of attacking intent as a relentless blue wave opened up Phoenix with ease.
- The visitors worked their way back into a game that was turning into end to end entertainment before a huge blunder gave the Jets a deserved 1-0 lead.
- Right on the half-time break it was 2-0 as Roy O'Donovan bagged his brace.
- Andrew Nabbout clinched the points with a third goal shortly after the break.
- Phoenix were really struggling late on as the Jets pressed for a fourth on a night when they outran their opponents and showed more attacking thrust and endeavour.
O'Donovan, Jets 37’: 1-0
Phoenix's Goran Paracki, inexplicably, with a back pass straight to O'Donovan in the box. His first shot was brilliantly stopped by Smith but the rebound was smacked home by the Irishman.
O'Donovan, Jets 46’: 2-0
Dimi Petratos with the purposeful run into the Phoenix box down the left. He got a cross in which was edged in by O'Donovan's thigh for his seventh of the season. 2-0 at the break.
Nabbout, Jets 54’: 3-0
Super goal. O'Donovan with the classy backheel to set Champness away. He found Nabbout inside with just enough space to set himself and he calmly picked his spot and drove it past Smith's dive to his left.