Newcastle Jets stun Glory with two late goals to win it in Perth
Newcastle Jets scored two goals in the final six minutes to stun Perth Glory winning 2-1 on Saturday night in the WA capital.
Thanks to a first half debut goal from 21-year-old striker Joe Knowles, Glory appeared to have the points in the bag.
But Newcastle substitute Roy O'Donovan was the catalyst for the late comeback, as the Jets maintained their grip on second spot in the league.
What's more, injuries to defensive players Xavi Torres (groin) and Alex Grant (hamstring) will be a concern for Glory coach Kenny Lowe.
STORY OF THE GAME
- Newcastle started strong but couldn't find a breakthrough
- Glory Mitch Nichols with a opportunistic shot on 8 minutes the best chance for the home side.
- GOAL: Joe Knowles with the opening goal after 20 minutes. 1-0 to Glory.
- Chris Harold going close to making it two with his header on 44 minutes.
- HALF TIME: 1-0 to Perth
- Roy O'Donovan was a welcome substitution for the Jets, as was Diego Castro who came on with half an hour left.
- The Irish striker and Glory keeper Liam Reddy collided on 80 minutes with the pair battling on.
- But a late goal to John Koutroumbis got the Jets level at 1-1.
- LATE WINNER! An OG to Jeremy Walker stunned the home side.
- FULL TIME: 2-1 win to Jets
Knowles, Perth Glory 1-0, 20'
The two Josephs combined: Mills with the cross from the left and Knowles in a central position in the box guiding his effort past Moss with his right foot.
Koutroumbis, Newcastle Jets 1-1, 88'
A cross looking for O'Donovan found Koutroumbis in the box and he guided the ball home with his right foot across Reddy.
Walker (OG), Newcastle Jets 1-2, 92'
A corner was guided home by Walker to stun the home fans.