Newcastle Jets make it two wins in three days with victory over Brisbane Roar
A first-half goal to Jason Hoffman has helped Newcastle Jets to a hard-fought 1-0 win over Brisbane Roar on Friday night.
And with over 12,000 fans in attendance at McDonald Jones stadium, the victory caps a successful week after their second win in three days to maintain their pressure on top of the table Sydney FC.
STORY OF THE GAME
- ROAR START WELL: Brisbane on the front foot early in Newcastle.
- GOAL ON 11 MINS! In their first real attack, Jason Hoffman sealed the opener.
- YOUNG'S BRILLIANT TWO SAVES: The superb Roar keeper was again in top form, first keeping out a Petratos power free kick (seeing it late) and keeping out Nabbout's smashing drive from the short corner.
- 1-0 AT THE BREAK: The Jets not at the regal best but clinical when it mattered.
- PATO RODRIGUEZ IS ON! The Argentine whiz a half-time substitute for Jets
- CHANCE FOR JETS: Pato Rodriguez with the burst forward and cross from wide left and Georgievski with the looping effort tipped over by Young brilliantly after 51 minutes.
- LONG-RANGE SHOT: Jets' Ivan Vujica goes very close with a low shot from distance fizzing past Young's post on the hour mark.
- O'TOOLE AND FRANJIC GO CLOSE: Both with good chances for Roar as the Jets appeared to fatigue in the final 30 minutes.
- JETS HANG ON: Roar looking the sharper of the two sides.
- BOOGAARD MISS: Rodriguez's sublime long cross but the defender butchered the chance with the goal gaping after 80 mins.
Hoffman Jets 1-0, 11'
Nabbout with the superb assist. A high ball through saw him control it on his chest on the edge of the box. As it dropped, his outside of the foot pass brought in the on-running Hoffman who dragged the ball into his stride into the box to sweep home the opener with an assured left-foot strike.