Muscat backs Bes' new deal

Melbourne Victory coach Kevin Muscat reckons Besart Berisha's contract extension is just reward and is convinced the marquee striker has a lot more to give.

Berisha signed a new deal with the Big V this week, which will keep him at the Hyundai A-League club until the end of the 2017-18 season when he will be almost 33.

The fiery forward has scored 29 goals in 42 matches in all competitions since joining Victory from Brisbane Roar, plus been critical to the club winning the A-League premiership, championship and Westfield FFA Cup in 2015.

"Since Bes has come here he's been excellent for us," Muscat said in the lead-up to Saturday's clash with Wellington Phoenix.

"I think it was timely that we reward him for everything he's done to date, albeit he's got so much hunger in him that he won't be looking backwards, he'll be looking forwards on how he can influence and help the team go from strength to strength."

Victory flew to New Zealand on Thursday for the match against the Phoenix at QBE Stadium in Auckland.

It is understood the venue's pitch is not in fantastic condition but Muscat refused to worry about it.

"From all reports there have been some question marks over the surface of the pitch but it is what it is," he said.

"We'll get on with it and deal with it."

Victory central defender Matthieu Delpierre, who was subbed off at half-time of last week's 2-1 win over Adelaide United, is expected to be fit to play Wellington.

Captain Carl Valeri, however, has not travelled with Muscat's squad, with Victory claiming he has an illness rather than a reoccurrence of his previous hamstring injury.

#WELvMVC