Melbourne Victory v Adelaide United: stats preview
It’s fifth v sixth to kick off Star Wars Round with Melbourne Victory hosting Adelaide United in the Hyundai A-League’s #OriginalRivalry at Etihad Stadium on Friday night.
Victory moved into the top six as a result of their come-from-behind win over Wellington Phoenix last weekend, while the Reds lost to champions Sydney FC.
Something special always happens when these two meet and it promises to be another cracking clash. Check out all the key stats courtesy of Opta Data.
- Melbourne Victory have lost only one of their last 13 Hyundai A-League games against Adelaide United (W7, D5) and are undefeated in their last four (W3, D1).
- The Reds have picked up just one win against Victory at Etihad Stadium since 2007 (D3, L12) and have failed to earn a point in their last three visits in the Hyundai A-League.
- Victory have drawn their last two games on home turf and haven’t scored more than a single goal in a home Hyundai A-League game since March this year (4-1 v Perth).
- Marco Kurz’s men will be searching for back-to-back away wins for the first time in the Hyundai A-League since April 2016.
- The Big V have scored 10 second-half goals this Hyundai A-League campaign, more than any other team and four more than Adelaide.
- The Reds have had 39 shots blocked this campaign, more than any other team in the Hyundai A-League.
- Victory defender Jason Geria has won 71 duels this campaign, more than any other player in the Hyundai A-League and 18 more than Reds’ best Isaias (53).
- Adelaide gloveman Paul Izzo has made 28 saves so far this Hyundai A-League season, the second-most of any goalkeeper and six more than Victory’s Thomas Lawrence.