Melbourne Victory back into the six with crucial win in Brisbane
Melbourne Victory have moved into the six after a strong first half laid the platform for a 2-1 win over Brisbane Roar at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday.
The win will give them a boost ahead of the Melbourne Derby on Saturday, their first at Suncorp since the 2014/15 season.
STORY OF THE GAME
- HIGH INTENSITY: A fast start with both sides pressing and playing forward with speed.
- YOUNG ON FIRE:Two super stops to keep a rampant Victory goalless inside the first 10 mins
- GOAL! Rhys Williams after 12 mins and Victory 1-0 up.
- GOAL! Kosta Barbarouses six minutes later and Victory take a 2-0 lead.
- GEORGE ON FIRE: A super run through Roar's defence but the Dutchman Leroy George unable to finish off.
- VICTORY CHANCE: Berisha in the box with a great chance to make it three but he doesn't hit the ball cleanly.
- HALF TIME 0-2: Victory clinical in the final third with the front four combining beautifully. Young keeping Roar in it with some class stops.
- GOAL: Maccarone for Roar makes it 1-2 on 56 mins. Game on!
- ROAR MOMENTUM: Brisbane pressing with Victory on the back foot as the hour mark ticks over.
- CHANCE: Hingert with the positive run into Victory's box, but his ball across the box misses teammates.
- GOAL CHALKED OFF: Berisha thought he'd made it 3-1 after 90 mins, but his handball in the lead up was picked up.
Williams Victory 0-1, 12'
The central defender gets onto Leroy George's corner and powers a header past Young from in front.
Barbarouses Victory 0-2, 18'
Super goal, set up by Leroy George bursting down the left and his deep low cross beats the Roar defence and the All White at the far post finished well.
Maccarone Roar 1-2, 56'
Super low ball from McKay from wide left to Maccarone who takes a touch and dinks it past the on-coming Thomas.