Melbourne Derby: stats preview
Melbourne is set to be divided on Saturday night as Victory hosts City in what promises to be a blockbuster Melbourne Derby at Etihad Stadium.
Opta Data has crunched the numbers to come up with the key stats for what is always a huge clash on the Hyundai A-League calendar.
• Melbourne Victory have won the last two Melbourne Derby’s in the Hyundai A-League by a score of 2-1.
• Warren Joyce will be looking to become the first Melbourne City coach to win his opening two Hyundai A-League games in charge of the club.
• Kevin Muscat’s side will become the first team to win three successive Melbourne Derby’s if they prevail on Saturday night.
• Saturday night’s game is a milestone for Melbourne City, the club’s 200th game in the Hyundai A-League fixture. It’s their 23rd Melbourne Derby.
• The only previous time that Melbourne Victory have lost their opening two games of a Hyundai A-League season was in the 2012/13 Season.
• City gloveman Eugene Galekovic was the only goalkeeper to finish the opening round of the Hyundai A-League 2017/18 Season with a save percentage of 100%.
• Victory won 63 duels in the opening round, more than any other team in the Hyundai A-League.