McCormack the match winner for Melbourne City over Central Coast Mariners
Ross McCormack's first goal from open play helped Melbourne City to a 1-0 win over Central Coast Mariners on Sunday at AAMI Park.
STORY OF THE GAME
- A number of chances were created in an even opening half hour with City seeing two excellent opportunities spurned by Stefan Mauk.
- Mariners'defender Jake McGing almost scored an OG off a corner, but keeper Ben Kennedy kept his team in it with a sharp save.
- The best chance of the first half fell to City's Michael Jakobsen, his give and go into the box opening up the Jets but Kennedy again was up to it with a low stop.
- HALF TIME: 0-0. City were frustrated after dominating most of the half. Kennedy making a number of good saves for the visitors.
- GOAL: McCormack with his first goal from open play for City after 58 minutes to break the clash.
- Blake Powell came on for the Mariners as City sat back in the final 15 minutes.
- Mauk for City with a goal-saving block in time added on as Connor Pain bore down on goal.
- FULL TIME: 1-0 TO CITY
McCormack, City, 58' 1-0
Luke Brattan was key in the set up, in a wide position he demanded the ball from keeper Bouzanis with a long kick before working the ball cleverly inside then feeding McCormack, who calmly slotted past Kennedy.