McCormack hits double as City back to winning ways against Phoenix
Two second-half goals to Ross McCormack and an eye-catching display by sub Daniel Arzani helped Melbourne City to a 2-1 win on Saturday night at AAMI Park in Melbourne.
Phoenix, after a classic counter-attack display, showed plenty of class throughout but were unable to hold on to their first-half lead.
City started with striker Dario Vidosic, who departed Phoenix last week. But it was McCormack and Arzani who sparked City after a first-half that saw the hosts a goal down at the break.
For Phoenix, they brought on new signing Nathan Burns in the second half, for his second stint at the club.
STORY OF THE GAME
- CHANCES: Phoenix set up to counter-attack, and it worked with two chances in transition falling to top striker Andrija Kaluderovic in the opening 30 minutes
- GOAL! Roy Krishna with the opening goal to Phoenix after 41 mins.
- HALF-TIME: 0-1 City were unable to find a way past Phoenix's compact structure, the visitors for their part playing counter-attack football perfectly and taking their chance to score.
- OFF THE WOODWORK! Phoenix almost go two up. Krishna sets up Kaluderovic who heads against the bar after 56 mins.
- TOP SAVE! City substitute Daniel Arzani through on goal with just the keeper to beat - the shot is headed for the bottom right-hand corner but a diving Lewis Italiano tipped the ball wide of the post.
- GOAL: 1-1 after 71 mins with McCormack hitting the net for City.
- GOAL: 2-1 after 80 mins with McCormack claiming his second and the go-ahead goal.
- PHOENIX PUSH HARD: City hanging on as the visitors pushed hard for a leveler in the final few mins.
Krishna Phoenix 41' 0-1
The pacy Fijian ran on to a ball through, harried Jakobsen forced a mistake and got in between the Dane and City keeper Bouzanis before deftly dinking the ball over the keeper.
McCormack City 72' 1-1
City sub Arzani crossing the ball and the deflection found McCormack who guided it home on the far post. 1-1 after 72 mins.
McCormack City 80' 2-1
Arzani and McCormack combine again with Arzani putting the ball right on the head of the City striker who nods home.