Match report: thrilling Sydney FC comeback denies Wanderers a derby win
Sydney FC have denied Western Sydney Wanderers a famous win coming back from two goals down to draw 2-2 on Saturday night at an electric Allianz Stadium in the 16th Sydney Derby.
Both sides remain unbeaten after three games this season.
STORY OF THE GAME
- A cracking atmosphere ramped up even more after Wanderers took a shock 2-0 lead in the opening half an hour.
- But the champions hit back. Bobo’s penalty in front of the Wanderers supporters’ end dragged it back to 2-1, which they took into the break.
- Sydney on the counter made it 2-2 on the hour to set up a hectic final 30 minutes as Sydney came home with a wet sail.
- Sub Matt Simon with just minutes left missed a great chance to win the derby for Sydney, missing from right in front with his header.
- Roly Bonevacia - in his first Sydney Derby - Josh Risdon, Kearyn Baccus and Alvaro Cejudo were all exceptional for those in red and black with Wanderers putting on an excellent pressing display all night.
- David Carney, Alex Wilkinson and Josh Brillante were standouts for the Sky Blues.
Riera, Wanderers 3’: 0-1
Risdon floats the ball into the box, as Riera rises up to head the ball for goal and it goes into the net just under the top right corner. What a start from the Wanderers! T
Hamill, Wanderers 30’: 0-2
Cejudo with a wonderful ball into the area, as Hamill with the ball off the head and his shoulder and it goes past Redmayne for a huge goal for Wanderers.
Bobo, Sydney FC 38’: 1-2
Bobo takes the spot kick, he keeps it hard and low and he is able to get it past Janjetovic and into the back of the net.
Brillante, Sydney FC 61': 2-2
Bobo passes it over to Brillante into the box, as he passes it through the legs of Llorente, taking a deflection from right to left, finding the back of the net.