Mariners march to fourth as Powell punishes Perth Glory
Blake Powell scored barely a minute after coming on to fire Central Coast Mariners to a valuable 1-0 win over Perth Glory at Central Coast Stadium on Sunday.
Paul Okon's side appeared set to be frustrated in their attempts to leapfrog Perth as they struggled to put away a series of promising first half opportunities.
But striker Powell made an immediate impact by turning in the goal that sends the Gosford outfit into an impressive fourth on the Hyundai A-League ladder.
STORY OF THE GAME
- After a tight opening half hour, the Mariners began to look dangerous with Jake McGing’s delivery from the right causing Perth increasing problems.
- Kwabena Appiah went closest as his header drew a smart save from Liam Reddy, but the visitors scrambled to maintain the deadlock.
- And they might have gone ahead on the stroke of half-time, only for Ben Kennedy's outstretched leg to deny Mitch Nichols.
- Opportunities dried up at both ends after the restart as Mariners' lack of an out-and-out striker appeared set to cost them.
- But, moments after being introduced, Powell proved the missing link as he turned in Daniel De Silva's smart cut-back.
Powell, Central Coast Mariners 78': 1-0
Powell set De Silva on his way to the byline and, after continuing his run into the area, got on the end of the midfielder's cut-back and blasted in off the underside of the bar.