Ljujic screamer helps Wellington Phoenix earn point against Wanderers
Wellington Phoenix came back from a goal down at the break to draw 1-1 with Western Sydney Wanderers on Saturday at Westpac Stadium.
Wanderers dominated the first half but Phoenix stormed back into the contest after the break thanks in large part to subs Nathan Burns and Matija Ljujic.
STORY OF THE GAME
- OPEN START: WSW on the front foot, Phoenix dangerous on the counter as both sides created half chance opportunities.
- GOAL TO SANTA! Brendon Santalab smashes an opener after 28 minutes for WSW
- WSW SO CLOSE! A minute after the opener, Mark Bridge guides his effort the wrong side of Lewis Italiano's post after being one-on-one with the keeper. Should've been their second.
- HALF-TIME: 0-1
- PHOENIX MAKE CHANGES: Burns and Ljujic on for the hosts
- PHOENIX ON TOP: The changes galvanized Phoenix in the first 15 mins as they got on top.
- SUPER SAVE: Janjetovic palming away Burns' power shot after 70 mins.
- WHAT A GOAL! New signing Ljujic with a thunderbolt to equalise after 75 mins.
- LJUJIC GOES CLOSE: Barely a minute later, the ball fell to the Serb from distance and with the keeper out of the goal, he guided his snap shot past the post.
- EXCITING FINISH: Both sides pushed for a winner as tackles flew in and with the noisy home crowd willing on their Phoenix, it was an exciting finale.
- HAMILL RED CARDED: A second yellow to WSW defender Brendan Hamill after 87 mins.
- WINNER BUTCHERED!! Matt Ridenton butchered a golden chance to win it for Phoenix but he didn't pass the ball to a striker in the box. Kalujerovic was apoplectic! Phoenix could've won it in stoppage time.
Santalab WSW 0-1, 28'
A set piece curled in by Llorente wasn't cleared and the ball landed at Santalab's feet and he smashed the ball low under Italiano's dive.
Ljujic Phoenix 1-1, 75'
Durante with the big tackle to win possession, the loose ball fell to Matija Ljujic who took a few touches and smashed a ball from distance that dipped past Janjetovic.