Late drama as Victory, Roar battle to draw
Melbourne Victory and Brisbane Roar both remain winless after Brett Holman netted an 84th minute equaliser in a 1-1 draw at Etihad Stadium on Saturday.
The hosts had looked on track for a much-needed three points when they took the lead just five minutes earlier, but Holman came off the bench to salvage a share of the spoils for an injury-hit Roar.
The draw means both Hyundai A-League heavyweights remain stuck in the bottom three after six rounds of the new season.
STORY OF THE GAME
- Jamie Young was the first goalkeeper called into action, flying to his right to push away Leigh Broxham's flick-on header.
- Leroy George and Eric Bautheac were at the heart of their respective teams' best moves over the opening 45 minutes.
- An unmarked Rhys Williams nodded over from a George corner before he intelligently hooked clear Avraam Papadopoulos' attempt at the other end.
- And from a Bautheac cross, Nick D'Agostino tested Lawrence Thomas at his near post.
- Thomas' reaction save was matched again by Young, who preserved the deadlock by parrying George's fizzer.
- Young came to Brisbane's rescue once more with just over 15 minutes remaining, adjusting well to tip George's deflected strike around the far post.
- There was little the shot-stopper could do to deny Besart Berisha, though, as the striker fired first-time into the far corner to finally open the scoring.
- But the lead only lasted five minutes as Holman tapped home at close range to settle the stalemate.
Berisha, Melbourne Victory 79': 1-0
Who else? The former Roar striker only needed one chance, sweeping home George's smart pass after Papadopoulos failed to properly clear substitute Christian Theoharous' cross.
Holman, Brisbane Roar 84': 1-1
Jack Hingert overlapped on the right and kept his cool to find Brett Holman for a tap-in.