Late drama as Phoenix shock Glory after Castro fluffs penalty
A Roy Krishna-inspired Wellington Phoenix defeated Perth Glory 2-1 on Saturday at Westpac Stadium with a winner in stoppage time.
Glory dominated the second half and got their just reward after Castro was fouled in the box, but the Spaniard's Panenka penalty was saved by Tando Velaphi as the WA side spurned a golden chance to win the game.
And in a fairytale finish, substitute Roy Krishna's shot was diverted into the net inside stoppage time to help pull off an incredible win for the hosts.
Re-live the game in the MATCH CENTRE
STORY OF THE GAME
- GOAL PHOENIX 1-0 Stunning start as 18-year-old debutant Sarpreet Singh smashes a stunning opening goal.
- GOAL GLORY 1-1 Castro with the equaliser on 35 mins.
- GREAT SAVE Reddy low to his right keeping out Ljujic's low shot after 40 mins.
- HALF TIME 1-1 An even, entertaining first half featuring two super goals.
- GLORY ON TOP The visitors start stronger as Phoenix, worryingly, sitting deep in the opening 15 mins.
- VELAPHI'S BRAVE SAVE The Phoenix keeper down low to bravely stop another Glory attack.
- SO CLOSE! Kaluderovic at one end, Chianese at the other as both sides go for it ahead of the final 20 mins.
- PENALTY FOR GLORY Castro goes down, it's a pen with six minutes of regulation time left, but the Spaniard's Panenka is saved by former Glory keeper Velaphi. Incredible!
- GOAL FOR PHOENIX! Sub Krishna with a shot from an acute angle guided into the net by Shane Lowry in stoppage time.
Singh Phoenix 1-0, 3'
Stunning start as Singh on starting debut breaks forward after receiving a pass from Ljujic and powers a rocket inside the top right corner! Reddy no chance.
Castro Glory 1-1, 35'
Set piece just inside the D and the Spaniard picks his spot, powerfully smashing a low shot past Tando Velaphi.
Lowry (OG) Phoenix 2-1, 91'
McGlinchey sets up Krishna who shoots from an acute angle and Lowry guides it home.