Late drama as Perth Glory pull off precious win over 10-man City
Perth Glory scored a 97th-minute winner to defeat a 10-man Melbourne City FC 2-1 on Saturday night at nib Stadium.
City played the last 25 minutes with 10 men after defender Bart Schenkeveld was dismissed for a second yellow.
And it was former City player Neil Kilkenny who hit the equaliser for Perth after 84 minutes following Daniel Arzani's beautifully crafted opener just on the break.
Then in the 97th minute, substitute Adam Taggart headed a winner to send the crowd into raptures.
However, a calf injury to Diego Castro, who left the field in the final 10 minutes, was a concern for Glory.
STORY OF THE GAME
- CHANCE TO CITY A corner, delivered by Brattan is flicked on to Jakobsen, who is unmarked in the six-yard box but he slices it back in the direction it came from and Perth scramble it clear.
- GOAL CITY! Arzani with a moment of magic to open the contest just before the break.
- HALF TIME 0-1 A game of few clear chances lit up by Arzani's masterful curling goal.
- DOUBLE SUBSTITUTION Taggart and Andreu on for Glory after 55 mins.
- GLORY DOMINATING Castro starting to boss the game in the opening 20 mins of the second half.
- ANDREU SO CLOSE Castro sets up his fellow Spaniard and he fizzes a shot just over.
- RED CARD TO CITY! Schenkeveld with a second yellow after 66 mins following a late tackle on Mills.
- CASTRO CALF INJURY The Spanish maestro leaves the pitch with a calf problem after taking a shot. Not good news as Glory chase the game inside the final 10 mins.
- GOAL TO GLORY! Neil Kilkenny with an equaliser against his former club after 84 mins.
- TAGGART MISS! Great cross from Brimmer and Taggs heads over as the home side push for a winner.
- SEVEN MINUTES OF STOPPAGE TIME
- SCRAMBLE AND GLORY CLEAR City so close as Mills clears almost on the goalline. Ball goes up the pitch...
- TAGGART SCORES FOR GLORY! Stoppage time winner surely! 97 mins and Glory take the lead.
Arzani City 0-1, 43'
Arzani lights up the game with a moment of magic. He picks up the ball near the left touchline and runs at the defence, cuts into the box and shifts onto his right foot and curls a cracker into the top corner!
Kilkenny Glory 1-1, 84'
The former City player passed the ball low and into the net in front of the Shed after Chianese got into the box.
Taggart Glory 2-1, 97'
The sub on target with a lovely header at the far post to send nib Stadium into raptures in stoppage time.