Kosmina's happy return

Adelaide United have produced a 2-0 victory over Wellington Phoenix as John Kosmina enjoyed a triumphant return to Hindmarsh Stadium.

Adelaide United have climbed off the foot of the Hyundai A-League ladder with a 2-0 victory over Wellington Phoenix at Hindmarsh Stadium on Friday.

It was the Reds' first triumph in seven weeks and the first this season for caretaker coach and prodigal son John Kosmina - who replaced Rini Coolen at the helm some 12 days ago - leaving Adelaide well and truly gripped in 'Kossiemania'.

It was also Kosmina's first win as United boss since the epic 2006/07 preliminary final, during his previous stint at Hindmarsh.

The triumph also ensured Adelaide maintained their impressive home record against the New Zealanders, with the last time the two teams met at Hindmarsh being last season's sudden death elimination final, which the Reds won 1-0.

Bruce Djite's super goal in the 16th minute from a well-timed Dario Vidosic lob was just compensation for United's early hard work.

The Reds' clear dominance across the majority after half-time was finally rewarded when Antony Golec, in his second match for the club, slotted the home side's second in the 62nd minute after taking advantage of a ricochet off Phoenix gloveman Anthony Warner, who had just pulled off a superb save from Vidosic's free kick.

An early Wellington half-chance went begging when Leo Bertos fired from inside the box only to brush the side netting.

Otherwise United came out with plenty of purpose. Sergio van Dijk - in his return from injury - sent one just wide with the left boot in the sixth minute and Vidosic got a full head of steam and chased his own ball forward but was unable to beat Warner who rushed out and took possession.

The visitors came oh-so close at the 14-minute mark when English-born striker Chris Greenacre's lunge from close range, with the goal at his mercy, was deflected by new Adelaide skipper Eugene Galekovic's outstretched leg, a ripper save, after Daniel had used his speed to blitz past Nigel Boogaard.

Adelaide's desperation and energy was rewarded in the 16th minute when Djite hammered a superb left-foot goal across Warner's body after the prominent Vidosic found the American-born spearhead with acres of space.

Djite's goal, his second of the season, ended a stretch of more than five hours in terms of game-time since the battling Reds had scored at home.

Tim Brown had an opportunity to equalise for Wellington 30 minutes in when he pounced on a loose ball outside the box, getting plenty of mileage on his shot, but aiming it straight into the hands of an unmoved Galekovic.

United came within inches of doubling their lead and producing a contender for goal of the season when Spase Dilevski cut inside and had Warner on toast, although he fired fractionally wide in the 35th minute.

Dilevski, though, soon went up the tunnel in the 42nd minute after hurting himself, replaced by Zenon Caravella.

Phoenix upped the tempo late in the half and looked potent but couldn't capitalise. Workhorse Brown's 40th-minute nod at the end of a set piece, which beat Galekovic but hit the woodwork, was as close as Wellington came to making it 1-1, the Reds suddenly under siege but still holding sway at the break.

But for some excellent defending from Ben Sigmund, Adelaide would have doubled their lead after Vidosic's sweet lay-off for substitute Caravella was denied in the 47th minute when the experienced defender brazenly threw his body in front of Caravella's shot.

Two further golden chances went begging in the 58th minute for United, with Warner's desperate efforts in goal absolutely supreme.

Vidosic's shot from close range was blocked before Cam Watson's follow-up shot was denied by a diving Warner, before Phoenix skipper Andrew Durante headed it over the cross-bar and out of danger, albeit temporarily.

Djite was felled by Manny Muscat - who was fortunate to not be given his marching orders, having already copped a yellow card - just outside the 18-yard box.

Vidosic's free kick was wonderfully stopped by the busy Warner, but left back Golec was there to gather the rebound and put away Adelaide's second goal in the 62nd minute.

Warner's save was typically impressive, but Golec's follow-up was even better.

Adelaide momentarily were down to 10 men when van Dijk - mysteriously, amid scenes of high farce - bolted from the field and into the sheds. When he re-emerged, he was greeted with cheers from the home faithful and a yellow card from referee Chris Beath.

Even more generous applause was afforded Djite who went off in the 83rd minute, replaced by Osama Malik, the Reds and Djite deservedly satisfied with a job well done.

Adelaide United 2 (Djite 16, Golec 62) Wellington Phoenix 0 Crowd: 9739 at Hindmarsh Stadium, Adelaide