John Kosmina is relieved the future of Sergio van Dijk has been sorted after the striker was released from his contract.
Adelaide United coach John Kosmina is relieved the future of striker Sergio van Dijk has been sorted after the 30-year-old was released from his contract on Thursday.
Van Dijk's current deal was set to expire at the end of the season but the Dutchman and United came to a mutual agreement to terminate the contract early to allow the left-footer to sign for Indonesian side Persib Bandung.
Kosmina's relationship with van Dijk soured ever since the former Brisbane Roar marksman announced his intentions last year to move closer to his family in the Netherlands, who had struggled to adapt to life in Adelaide.
Van Dijk made only three appearances for the Reds this season, with his last outing being in the 2-1 loss to league leaders Central Coast in December.
Kosmina said the transfer was in the best interest of both parties.
"I'm glad it's finally over. It's been a long drawn out saga. This is a war and peace transfer," Kosmina said.
"Could it have happened a few months ago? Yes, but it didn't and we just deal with what it is.
"I'm glad for the club, I'm glad for Serge in particular, and glad for me because I don-t have to answer any more questions."
While van Dijk's departure was welcome news to Kosmina, the 2010-11 Golden Boot winner's exit leaves Adelaide's depleted up front.
With powerful forward Bruce Djite still another week away from returning from a groin injury sustained in the 3-2 win over Perth Glory last Friday night, Kosmina has just Argentine Jeronimo Neumann as the only other recognised striker in his squad.
But despite the sparse forward options, Kosmina said he would not look to find cover for van Dijk before the transfer window closes.
"We probably wouldn't (need to replace van Dijk) because we have got enough depth in the squad," Kosmina said.
"I've got a few little ideas up my sleeve as well about how we can replace Serge.
"Bruce is probably ready to go next week or the week after and he was never going to be out for long... so we'll get by for this week."
The former Sydney FC Coach admitted van Dijk was in line to make his first appearance in almost two months against Melbourne Heart on Friday night at AAMI Park, but had faith in Jeronimo and his attacking midfielders to cover his absence.
"Jeronimo will do a job, not an issue... he came on last week and did a good job for us," Kosmina said.
"Serge was coming to Melbourne as of Wednesday morning after training, but this (transfer) was always in the pipeline.
"He would have come off the bench... Sergey's strength might have come in handy, but the fact here's not here we do it another way."
Jeronimo who started on the bench before scoring a first-half brace to fire Adelaide to victory against Perth will replace the injured Djite in an otherwise unchanged starting line-up against the Heart.
Promising youngster Jake Barker-Daish, veteran Zenon Caravella and the returning Jon McKain will fight for the two remaining spots on the bench that already includes goalkeeper Paul Izzo and defensive midfielder Osama Malik, following the demotion of emerging winger Awer Mabil to the National Youth League team.
Djite is expected back next week while fellow injured teammates Marcelo Carrusca (groin) and Nigel Boogaard (hamstring) are set for a later date after returning to the training track this week.
Portuguese winger Fabio Ferreira (groin) hopes to start running next week.